Mauthe wont stay running.

BNSF2015

Dec 11, 2017
Country
Hello all,
It has been a spell since I was here. Hoping everyone has been able to deal with the virus ok and have been able to get their vaccines or will in the future. My movement is nothing special. It is a Mauthe that I found at the flea market find, just something to putt with. Took many picture and disassembled and cleaned it. I reassembled and ordered a pendulum and key. It ran for about 2 months as I tried to adjust the weight of the pendulum and get it to keep correct time. Thought I did good for a super rookie. But that finally came to an end. It does not want to run any more. BUT if I remove the pendulum, suspension spring and the pallet arm, the whole thing just runs like crazy. Does anyone have any ideas? The specs on the movement are 34/116 and ser # 80204. The pendulum is 9.75” long, and weights 4.5 oz, the bob is 3 3/8” in diameter. Hope this added info will be of help. Thank you for taking a minute to read my post and possible send out an idea or two.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
The clock repair folks will be along to assist you, but they will probably ask for pictures of the clock and movement.

Regards.

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening, BNSF! (Burlington Northern Santa Fe?)

Did you mean you tried to adjust the "height" of the pendulum? You said "weight." I don't think you want to adjust the weight. That usually has little or no effect and could make the clock work harder, resulting in its stopping because of insufficient power.

Have you checked to make sure the clock is "in beat"? That's a reason it may not keep running. There are articles here on that: https://mb.nawcc.org/wiki/Beat-Setting-101

If it won't run with the pendulum on, but "runs like crazy" without it, that does kind of say you haven't got enough power, say, to overcome an out-of-beat situation.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Reactions: roughbarked

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If the clock ran for several days and now won't run at all, something else was introduced into the equation that was not there before. Tim might be on the right track. Check out the things he recommended and check back. Pictures would help, and a description of exactly what you did in adjusting the pendulum.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
The clock repair folks will be along to assist you, but they will probably ask for pictures of the clock and movement.

Regards.
OK, lets see some of the pictures, but in a case like this a video of the clock attempting to run may be even more helpful. Make the video at least 30 seconds long - post on You-Tube and provide a link here. Be sure to mark it as public on You-Tube.

As for why it doesn't run with the pendulum attached, as already mentioned, check that it is "in beat". 4.5 oz. is a pretty heavy pendulum bob for a small clock. You might try 2.5 to 3.0 oz. Time keeping is mostly dependent on the length of the pendulum but too much weight can sometimes over load things. However, a flea market clock likely has significant wear at the pivots and pivot holes that are causing the clock to have not enough power to be stable. Cleaning and oiling can sometimes tip the balance and cause it to run for a while but in many cases it is just barely running with a minimum pendulum swing and is very sensitive to being out of beat.

RC

BNSF2015

Dec 11, 2017
Country
I will try and get photos here in a few days. I have tried making use it I’d sitting level. The 34cm comes out to about 13.78inches, so the pendulum is a little short at 9.75”. Running for a couple of months and then stopped threw me. I will look into the beat setting like Tim suggested and a lighter pendulum as RC mentioned. Yes Tim, you are correct on the BNSF. Got started late with the RR and only put in 12 years as a freight conductor. Turned 65 and figured time to relax.

BNSF2015

Dec 11, 2017
Country
I finally have some photos to share. Also the movement has gremlins in it. While taking photos I mounted it backward on its mount. It started running on its own. I have attached the pendulum and it is still running. Can working on clocks drive you batty? I will try to lengthen the pendulum. Made a hook because the double hook it came with did not fit right (after market) 303BED02-F686-4D6E-8238-F2C82A5ACA8D.jpeg C19080CC-B264-4274-9775-FFD6AB677562.jpeg 435483BA-23AC-4853-BD9D-A5D55AB5A52A.jpeg 3652DD6E-7613-4F60-AC3B-29A9B2D3D37E.jpeg DF10E1F0-5598-4A08-BC5A-449600C925FE.jpeg 77B53496-8725-40AD-B440-D71ED94B84A4.jpeg B6901E99-0F11-4CF5-9590-5A4227BD93EE.jpeg 1F52327B-9B63-45FE-A5AF-4F142E04DDFE.jpeg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You turn it around and it runs. One of two things: it's either badly out of beat or something is rubbing on something else when you turn it frontwards.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I would bet on what RC said in his last sentence post #5.

Clocks will 'run on the oil' for a while.

Look up: 'checking for wear' and please report back on what you find.

Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yeah, that's possible. In the first post he mentioned that he took it apart and cleaned it. I assumed necessary wear was addressed then too, but maybe not. BNSF - did you put any bushing in it?

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
Country
Region
While taking photos I mounted it backward on its mount. It started running on its own. I have attached the pendulum and it is still running. Can working on clocks drive you batty? I will try to lengthen the pendulum. Made a hook because the double hook it came with did not fit right (after market)
The understanding that a clock needs to be level can be misleading. If the clock is adjusted properly it should run "in beat" when level, Try placing the movement in the mount the way it is supposed to be then try rising the right side or the left side a little and listen to the sound the ticking makes. You should notice that if you "tilt: the movement too much the ticking will become very uneven like tick...........tick..tick.........tick..tick when it should be more like tick.....tick.....tick.....tick. Position the clock where the ticking is most even and see how it runs. Putting the clock "in beat" is the process of adjusting it so it ticks evenly (is in beat) when it IS level. but for now we need to see if it will keep running if you get it ticking evenly by slightly tilting it one way or the other.

Don't worry about the length of the pendulum until you have the clock running. The length of the pendulum only affects how fast the clock runs.

I am concerned about the pendulum attachment. In the case of the twin hooks, both hooks need to be the same length. In the case of the flat tab, it must be bent precisely at 90 degrees to the shaft and it must fit the hanger without being jacked up on one side. Anything related to the pendulum hanger that might cause the pendulum to not hang perfectly in line with the leader rod will force the movement to run out of beat or not run at all. If you are able to get it to run OK by tilting the movement then we can investigate what's going on and how to correct it but first make sure the pendulum is hanging free and straight.

If the pendulum swing is very weak it will be extremely sensitive about being perfectly "in beat" and the cause of this is usually excessive wear at various places in the movement.

RC

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Ruts and dents in the pallets can cause some strange problems at times.
This is usually associated with a small pendulum swing though, as RC just mentioned. Willie X

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Ruts and dents in the pallets can cause some strange problems at times.
This is usually associated with a small pendulum swing though, as RC just mentioned. Willie X
I just worked on one of those. It gave a bit of trouble until I adjusted the tricky verge in the escapement. You have to adjust the height of both pivots, and be sure that the clamping screw is tight. Be sure that the verge isn't rubbing on the plate, and that's not easy to see.

Mark Kinsler

BNSF2015

Dec 11, 2017
Country
Thank you everyone for you help. When I cleaned it and reassembled I did not check for bushing wear. I don’t have the tools or experience to do that kind of repair. When first got it I talked to a clock shop the next town up. The look on the fellows face gave me the impression he wasn’t interested and he quoted me a price of $300. Can’t afford that. I will keep trying the leveling and look for something rubbing. I think my stand could stand to be a bit better. And I will read up on checking it’s beat.. Is it possible to attach a short video here? I’m not up on putting things on You tube and no social media here, just forums. Thank you all for the help..

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
Country
Region
Thank you everyone for you help. When I cleaned it and reassembled I did not check for bushing wear. I don’t have the tools or experience to do that kind of repair. When first got it I talked to a clock shop the next town up. The look on the fellows face gave me the impression he wasn’t interested and he quoted me a price of $300. Can’t afford that. I will keep trying the leveling and look for something rubbing. I think my stand could stand to be a bit better. And I will read up on checking it’s beat.. Is it possible to attach a short video here? I’m not up on putting things on You tube and no social media here, just forums. Thank you all for the help..
$300 is not an unreasonable estimate to overhaul a clock like this with a guarantee. Doing the same thing over and expecting a different outcome is usually a waste of time. It is usually best to determine what the problem is before fixing it in order to avoid messing up something that isn't broken and and ending up with two problems which will be even harder to sort out. Search for beat setting 101, but you should be able to tell if it is out of beat by ear. Just tilt the movement right or left until the beat is even. Another quick visual check is with the pendulum at rest, place a ruler as close as possible to the bottom tip of the pendulum.. Slowly move the pendulum left or right just until it "ticks" and note the distance from when it was at rest. If the clock is in beat it will tick at the same distance left and right of the resting position. Get back to us when you have it in beat.

RC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ememess
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre