Mauthe wall clock circa 1890s with Adler gong - requesting more information

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Rockin Ronnie, Sep 14, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Rockin Ronnie, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    I am told from the family I bought this clock from that it came to Canada in the 1890s and had been in the family ever since. It is a Mauthe with an Adler gong. It looks like one of the early Adler gongs. I have been assured that the clock is original in every way but I wonder if it can be dated more precisely using the serial number and trademark.

The numbers are N.55006 and 20934.

The clock needs a good overhaul and it appears that it was either in a hot environment for some of its life or over a fireplace, the finish is very aligorated. It is also missing a finial on the crown, and a trim piece on the top of the access door and the wall stabilizers.

Any information as to its age would be appreciated. Any other general information would also be appreciated.

Ron

RS LankMauthe.jpg RS LankMauthe_2.jpg RS LankMauthe_3.jpg RS LankMauthe_4.jpg RS LankMauthe_5.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    55006 is the number of the German patent issued to Heinrich Kielmann in 1890 and deals with the pendulum suspension. Kielmann sold the rights to his pendulum patent (it was designed to prevent the pendulum from twisting) to a number of makers, including Mauthe.

As far as I know there is nothing available to help date the movement from the serial number but looking at the case and dial I would suppose that it would date from 1890 - 1910.

Hope this helps.

JTD

3. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, JTD. This is consistent with the information from the family. It seems safe to say that it was made after 1890.

Ron

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Using this post:

Post your MAUTHE clocks here

based on the logo and DRP number on the back plate, it would seem that the clock dates to around 1910 or a few years either side of that.

Kurt