Mauthe pendulum wall clock losing about 2 to 3 minutes per week

kologha

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern Cape SA
Country
My Mauthe (made approx 1925) box clock which for the last five years or so has been keeping time to within about 30 seconds per week and which is wound on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings, is losing time. For the previous 2 Sundays I have not had to adjust her, as she was bang on when I checked the time as per the world clock on my PC. On the Sunday just past, she was about 3 minutes slow. I corrected her after winding and now, on Wed evening she is about 1 minute slow. She has not been moved and has Bostik Prestik securing her to the wall to prevent accidental moving while being wound. She is probably due for a service and I would have thought she would begin gaining, but she is losing!!! Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
My Mauthe (made approx 1925) box clock which for the last five years or so has been keeping time to within about 30 seconds per week and which is wound on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings, is losing time. For the previous 2 Sundays I have not had to adjust her, as she was bang on when I checked the time as per the world clock on my PC. On the Sunday just past, she was about 3 minutes slow. I corrected her after winding and now, on Wed evening she is about 1 minute slow. She has not been moved and has Bostik Prestik securing her to the wall to prevent accidental moving while being wound. She is probably due for a service and I would have thought she would begin gaining, but she is losing!!! Any ideas as to what could be causing this?
Can you post a picture of the movement, especially showing the escapement? If the clock has a recoil escapement it is likely that it will run slower when there is a loss of power in the movement. Then a service will probably speed her up.

Uhralt

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Listen to it run, listen long enough and you will probably hear some 'soft ticks'.
This is a sure sign that your clock needs some attention.

I don't think you mentioned how long it had been since the last time it was taken apart and serviced.

Willie X

Alex K

Jun 20, 2020
Country
This is time to make new servicing. Probably better to do it every ~3 years I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilGoodew
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller