Mauthe Pendulum and Leader

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by ScotSun, Aug 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I purchased a "fixer-upper" Mauthe grandfather clock...

20190711_080609.jpg

I started to clean up the movement and found that the only piece missing appears to be the pendulum leader. It has a pin crutch so I believe that it should look like this...

Annotation 2019-07-11 180235.jpg

My first question is how long should it be? The back of the movement indicates a pendulum length of 116. Which I assume is centimeters. The pendulum itself, as seen in the pic above is about 91.5cm. Does that mean that I need a leader of 24.5cm?

And, if those numbers are correct, where would I find such a creature? Or should I look at fabricating one, and if so, where can I get a brass strip about a millimeter thick?(Based on the thickness of my pin crutch brass)...

Thanks 20190711_113959.jpg

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #2 Willie X, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    You may be able to buy an Urgos or Kieninger leader and modify it. Would be much nicer to find an old original leader. :)

You will need to make a 'mock-up' (leader with pendulum) to see exactly what the lengths will need to be. If it keeps time, it's the right length.

Trying to follow the numbers will be confusing and a waste of time. Your clock beats 60 beats per minute, often called a seconds beater.

Willie X