German Mauthe Grandfather Clock help

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by David A Vallone, Jan 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David A Vallone

David A Vallone Registered User

Jan 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I am trying to find some information as far as date of manufacture and approximate value of this Art Deco Mauthe grandfather clock. It looks to be in good original condition and it is working.

Thank You,
    David

Mauthe.jpg Mauthe 2.jpg

2. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like a 1930's clock going by the case and dial aesthetics. Sometimes the case's backboard is scribbled with a lot number that gives away the year of manufacture, otherwise you'll have to settle for a ballpark range in regards to dating.

Discussing values is permitted in the "What's it worth" forum.

3. David A Vallone

Jan 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I can't seem to find out how to post on the Whats it Worth section?

4. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you click on forums and scroll to the bottom of the page you'll see it on the left hand side.

5. David A Vallone

Jan 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here are some additional pictures of the mechanism

6. David A Vallone

Jan 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Some additional pictures of the mechanism

710899C4-08B0-40A9-B48A-8BDF7B7412C8.jpeg B360800E-F287-4016-A264-55C8D806AEA7.jpeg 88D803F4-3325-4A48-9D3D-1B81ADEBECF1.jpeg

7. David A Vallone

Jan 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I found it on the forum but I can't see anywhere you can post something or ask a question. There is nothing that says start new post or anything.

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    It is interesting to see that the logo on the back plate of the movement is that of Christian Kohler in Finsterwalde. By Schmid's 'Lexikon' we can read that the firm was in business from 1913 to around 1940. It seems that Kohler had a clock case factory and marketed clocks under his name with movements he bought in from various manufacturers.

I am presuming that the mark on the dial says Mauthe, but it is too tiny for me to read. If it does, it seems that the movement has at some time been replaced with one of Kohler's, (although I suppose it may still have been made by Mauthe, since Kohler seems to have bought from all sorts of makers).

JTD

9. David A Vallone

Jan 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    JTD, Thank You very much.

Yes! the dial does say Mauthe in it in two areas. I though that it was unusual that I didn’t see the Mauthe mark in the movement but your description sheds some light on the subject and makes sense to me now. It looks like a very good movement from what little knowledge that I have. It appears to have been always with that dial but who knows. Is the Kohler as good of a movement as the Mauthe?

10. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Since it appears that Kohler didn't make his own movements, and the movements he used with his logo were bought from other manufacturers, so the quality was dependent on which movement he bought.

As I said, yours may even be a Mauthe, marked for Kohler. I cannot identify the movement from its appearance only, but there are others here who may be able to and perhaps they will come along.

JTD

11. David A Vallone

Jan 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    JDT, Thank you for your help. I hope that someone here will be able to identify the movement.

12. David A Vallone

Jan 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    This movement came out of a 1930’s Art Deco long case clock that had a marked Mauthe square dial. I am trying to find who used the mark on the movement.

Thank yo
    Dave

8E8AD44E-0E80-4335-998B-2C8DF76F9D05.jpeg 2050F89D-ABAA-43EB-84DC-0C389C1EE14D.jpeg A4034B70-9763-4F22-BC5C-617FB4CE64BC.jpeg 83AD9CA4-A1D9-4C96-94E1-8894F5A9D1BE.jpeg

13. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    That specific question was answered here: Mauthe Grandfather Clock help

14. David A Vallone

Jan 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Not really. Someone made a suggestion of who they thought it may be i believe, but they were not sure.

15. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Are you talking about the user of the logo on the movement or the maker of the movement itself?

16. David A Vallone

Jan 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I would like to know both if possible. if not, then just the maker of the movement itself.

17. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This actually looks like a Gustav Becker HWW No. 15 movement, playing Whittington or Westminster chimes. Introduced in 1924 and produced until 1932, this was the first production hall clock movement playing both chime melodies on rod gongs rather than tubes or coils. It is a good durable movement and the rod gongs should sound very nice. The topic of unmarked Becker movements has been brought up before although your clock is the first one we're aware of to bear the Kohler trademark.

The chime selection lever's tab should be tucked behind the selector legion, allowing one to read each selection more easily. A photo of the rod gongs block would also be helpful.

Mauthe is not known to have produced any weight driven movements with the Whittington chimes.

18. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I have combined the two threads on this clock and movement. Having two so similar makes the discussion hard to follow in this instance.

The logo was identified above by JTD in post #8 above. Now see post 17 by chimeclockfan for a possible maker of the movement.

19. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think you have to be a member to avail yourself of this feature. Then, when you go to that category the "Post New Thread" will pop up.

Well worth it, for the wealth of information you can find here.

20. David A Vallone

Jan 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you very much for your time and response. I do believe it may be a Gustav Becker clock also. I just looked at the rod gong mounting piece on the rear of the inside of the case and it is stamped G.B. on the plate. Somehow it ended up with a Mauthe dial on it in it’s life, or it was made like that. It is a very pretty French Walnut veneer Art Deco Case and I’m sure will sound very nice. Are the Gustav Becker movements considered quality movements?

21. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    #21 JTD, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Yes, generally speaking they are considered good quality.

However, it is really strange that we have a clock with a Mauthe dial, a Becker movement and gong, the movement stamped Kohler. Becker would not have used a Kohler-marked movement, so though the movement may indeed be Becker-made, the clock would not have been sold as a Becker clock because of the Kohler stamp.

So it seems that this is a Kohler clock (because he bought movements from all sorts of makers it may have a Becker movement) that somehow got given a Mauthe dial.

It is a very fine looking clock - I like it. But I think the hands are wrong - perhaps they got put on when the dial was changed.

JTD

22. David A Vallone

Jan 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    JTD, Thank You. It is perplexing and we may never know the story behind it. My main concern was that the movement was of as good of quality as the case. Yes, the case is beautiful. A great example of the Art Deco era. I just cleaned and waxed the original finish on the case and it came out very nice. This is me ( WWW.Davidvallonerestoratios.com) . A few minor veneer replacements on the French Walnut veneered case feet and a good cleaning was really all the case needed. I mainly just stick with 18th and 19th Century furniture restoration, but couldn’t pass this clock up when I saw it for $150.00. Can you tell me which would be the correct hands for the dial. I put the weights and pendulum on today and it runs for a while and then stops so I may have to have my clock man look at it. I will have the movement cleaned and tuned by a professional in the next couple of weeks.

23. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    The hands could be one of several styles. If you google 'art deco long case clocks' you will come up with a great many examples of these clocks and you can see the style you feel it best for yours. In any case they would have been simpler and plainer than the strange curly ones you have at present (as you will see when you look at google).

It would be a good thing to have the clock serviced if it has been left standing for a while - and it may be a long time since the last service anyway.

For $150 I think you got a very good bargain.

JTD