• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Mauthe floating turtle water clock

yam kei

May 5, 2016
Country
Hi,
I have a floating turtle clock with water pool made by "Mauthe".
I think this type of clock is very famous from before.
omote.jpg yoko.jpg ura.jpg

Especially the one made by Gubelin is popular.
But the clock made by Mauthe can not be found at all.
This is mint condition and comes with original box and papers.
Is this clock very valuable?
Thank you.

Reactions: jmclaugh

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hi,
I have a floating turtle clock with water pool made by "Mauthe".
I think this type of clock is very famous from before.
View attachment 638484 View attachment 638485 View attachment 638486

Especially the one made by Gubelin is popular.
But the clock made by Mauthe can not be found at all.
This is mint condition and comes with original box and papers.
Thank you.
Welcome to the forum!

This type of clock was discussed on these forums a few years ago:

French Turtle Clock | NAWCC Forums

As you will read in the link, a clock made by Gübelin was discussed.

How do you know the clock was made by Mauthe?

Some other discussions:

grollier magnetic turtle water clock | NAWCC Forums

Water Clock | NAWCC Forums

Regards.

Last edited:

yam kei

May 5, 2016
Country
Welcome to the forum!

This type of clock was discussed on these forums a few years ago:

French Turtle Clock | NAWCC Forums

As you will read in the link, a clock made by Gübelin was discussed.

How do you know the clock was made by Mauthe?

Some other discussions:

grollier magnetic turtle water clock | NAWCC Forums

Water Clock | NAWCC Forums

Regards.
Thank you so much!
You are very kind.
On the metal cover of the clock movement "MAUTHE" is engraved.
I think this was made by MAUTHE.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It's an interesting novelty clock. Must work from magnets. I doubt it has GREAT value, but if it turns out that it is quite rare, that would change things a lot.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
On the metal cover of the clock movement "MAUTHE" is engraved.
I have never seen this type of novelty clock from Mauthe, a German manufacturer.

Mauthe did have a market in Japan, so it is possible that the clock was made for the Japanese market. Muraki was the authorized Japanese importer of Mauthe clocks.

The first link I provided, above, includes a link to an Antiques Roadshow, dated from the year 2012, which means it was filmed and appraised in the Summer of 2011. The values provided in the AR clip were for a Gübelin as opposed to a Mauthe and are now 10 years old. I do not know if a Gübelin would provide a higher value than a Mauthe. My suspicion is that the Gübelin, all things being equal, would bring a higher value than the Mauthe.

The other variable we do not know is whether the type of novelty clock is valued higher in Japan than in the U.S. [ NOTE: The OP shows the flag for Japan, so I assume that the value request is primarily a value for the Japanese market ] We also do not know the age of the OP's clock, whereas the clock in the AR clip was estimated to be circa 1900.

These are the issues that must be addressed to determine the value of the OP's clock

So, to answer the OP's question:

I believe the answer is the clock has more value than most Mauthe clocks. We have a ten year old starting point for value that must be adjusted for (a) date of the AR valuation, (b) difference in makers, (c) unknown vintage of the OP's clock, and (d) whether the desirability of the clock is higher (or lower in Japan) as compared to the U.S.

Hopefully, a recent comparable for this clock can be found - preferably, a Japanese comparable.

Regards.

Last edited:

yam kei

May 5, 2016
Country
I have never seen this type of novelty clock from Mauthe, a German manufacturer.

Mauthe did have a market in Japan, so it is possible that the clock was made for the Japanese market. Muraki was the authorized Japanese importer of Mauthe clocks.

The first link I provided, above, includes a link to an Antiques Roadshow, dated from the year 2012, which means it was filmed and appraised in the Summer of 2011. The values provided in the AR clip were for a Gübelin as opposed to a Mauthe and are now 10 years old. I do not know if a Gübelin would provide a higher value than a Mauthe. My suspicion is that the Gübelin, all things being equal, would bring a higher value than the Mauthe.

The other variable we do not know is whether the type of novelty clock is valued higher in Japan than in the U.S. [ NOTE: The OP shows the flag for Japan, so I assume that the value request is primarily a value for the Japanese market ] We also do not know the age of the OP's clock, whereas the clock in the AR clip was estimated to be circa 1900.

These are the issues that must be addressed to determine the value of the OP's clock

So, to answer the OP's question:

I believe the answer is the clock has more value than most Mauthe clocks. We have a ten year old starting point for value that must be adjusted for (a) date of the AR valuation, (b) difference in makers, (c) unknown vintage of the OP's clock, and (d) whether the desirability of the clock is higher (or lower in Japan) as compared to the U.S.

Hopefully, a recent comparable for this clock can be found - preferably, a Japanese comparable.

Regards.
It was very helpful.
Very thanks you.
I think it is not so worth it.
For reference, I bought this clock in the United States. The seller said it was made by GUBELIN, but it wasn't. I looked closely at home, it was made by MAUTHE.
IMG_6035.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
S1987m
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-