Mauthe Barrel Cap loose

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
I've had this Mauthe apart three times now due to a barrel cap on the time side that pops off.
Is there a way to tighten the cap in order to prevent this?

I've searched threads suggesting replacing it with a new one turned down to size. But I don't have the tools to turn one.
It's just like the one on the left shown here.
Mauthe 14 day movement.jpg

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
I'm 90% certain I haven't interchanged the two caps. I always do one barrel at a time to avoid mixing parts.
One option I do have is to change them and see what happens, but I'd like to explore other alternatives first.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
An expanded barrel is nearly always caused by a broken spring.

You can learn to 'planish' and planish the cap, around the edge, to make it slightly bigger. Just a little at a time will do it. Some judicious filing is usually necessary.

Willie X

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Thanks Willie, I was considering doing that, but not quite sure how to go about it. I'll try to get a smooth flat surface somewhere and go at it with a small hammer. Trial and error I guess.

I'm sure the mainspring is good, but I have yet to open it again for the third time. We'll see.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Definitely check the mainspring end hole and the click mechanism. Don't need a replay!

Be sure your spring space is about 1mm wider than your spring.

Willie X

Reactions: Dave T

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
I use flat C-clamps from Timesavers. Note that the wound spring can, to some extent, be pushed out of the way and held in that position with some judicious wedging. I have also used some reliable, releaseable plastic zip ties.

M Kinsler

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Try flipping the cap over. If that doesn't help, try what Willie mentioned. If you still can't get it to stay, a little Loctite might not be a terrible crime. But it would be nice to use a marker to say "used Loctite" on the cap for the next guy :D

Reactions: Dave T

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
You're lucky. On some clocks, when the cap comes off, it's a 'Kabloooe' moment! Willie X

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
I guess I've got another learning curve hill to climb.
Got it all apart again. The barrel cap snaps on easily with my fingers and not much pressure, and pops off easy with the tap of a handle end of a screwdriver.

I've been attempting to planish it, by tapping around the perimeter of the cap on both sides, tried it several times and see no change yet. Maybe I'm not hitting it hard enough?
Mauthe loose barrel cap 1.jpg Mauthe loose barrel cap.jpg

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Think I got her boys! Appreciate the advice on how to do this. I'm thinking I needed to concentrate my hammer blows on the very edge or real close to the edge, which I did.

Now I get to put it all back together, set up the strike timing again. ha
Then we'll see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rosscoid
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller