German $ Mauthe and tander

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Salsagev, Jun 28, 2020 at 1:51 AM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I picked these up after I bought them in auction. I got them both for under 30 and I really don’t know anything about these. The mauthe has a tall gong. The tander has a hermle movement but I don’t know about tander company. I bought it because it said 1740. Please don’t judge because I bought this a long time ago. Like my second purchase. Are these keepers or sacrificial?

2. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Hi,

I presume Tander is the company that imported the Hermle movement put the clock together before selling it. It's probably from the 1970's. The Mauthe (German company) is a bit older, probably 1930's. These mantle clocks aren't particularly rare or valuable, so if you want to learn clock repair these are good projects to start with. A word of caution: familiarise yourself with the basics of clock repair before you do any experimenting - the mainsprings are very dangerous fellows.

Regards.

4. steamer471

steamer471 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Male
    Self employed
    Charlotte NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Really no such thing as a sacrificial clock! The Mauthe approaching, if not already reached , antique status. The other looks to have a time stamp on the movement from 1971. You seem to be purchasing a lot of clocks and then asking what they are worth. If you are wishing to find rare or valuable pieces I suggest you study the styles, manufacturers and origins of these machines and try to focus on what you really want. I too am guilty! Early on in my collecting days I purchased all kinds of clocks and picked up some really good deals and desirable clocks. The downside to this is I now swimming in more clocks than I could ever repair or sell for any type of profit. Also If your going to collect, you're going to need someone to repair and restore for you or learn to do it yourself. A mentor so to speak. Joining your local chapter and studying here is a good start. As a fellow collector I am not trying to discourage you by any means, I just don't want to see you get "burned out".

JTD likes this.
  5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I see some good clocks to learn clock repair on.