• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Mastercrafters Clever Quartz Conversion

Allan Wolff

NAWCC Member
Mar 17, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Country
Region
I am sometimes asked to fix Mastercrafters electric clocks. There is not much to them, but the motor often needs work and the fiber gears are difficult to find. Repair costs can easily be more than the value of the clock. While I prefer to keep the clock original, it is very tempting to install a quartz movement. The challenge then becomes making the animated feature work.

This Swinging Playmates clock arrived on my bench. A previous repairer had converted it to quartz and used a very clever method to swing the children. I thought I would share how it was done.

A pendulum quartz movement was used. Instead of a pendulum, a strip of brass was fashioned with a hook on one end and a copper alarm clock hairspring on the other. A wrap of lead tape was added to give it some weight. This assembly hangs from the pendulum leader of the quartz movement. As it swings, the hairspring bumps against the wires of the swings, giving each child a little push as it alternates back and forth. It works amazingly well!

The original power cord was left in place to power the light. The only noise the clock makes is the pulsing of the quartz time unit so this would be a great nightlight for a child's bedroom.
Oh, I almost forgot. The only repair it needed was to replace the batteries. Apparently the current owner did not know it was quartz and the batteries expired in 1994. Surprisingly very little corrosion damage.
Allan

DSC_0060.JPG DSC_0061.JPG DSC_0062.JPG DSC_0063.JPG

Last edited:

Allen Mocklin

NAWCC Member
Sep 10, 2015
Hi Allan, I have a Mastercrafters clock with just the girl, the fiber gear is gone and I have tried to find one, none to be found. I would like to convert mine to the Quartz movement, could you tell me which one was used for the conversion that will fit. The clock belonged to my mother and I just had my first granddaughter and I would like to get it running for her. Last year I converted two Micky Mouse wall clocks for the 70's to quartz and they work perfect.
Thanks, Allen Mocklin

Allan Wolff

NAWCC Member
Mar 17, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Country
Region
Hi Allen,
I did not capture the model number of the movement used.
These should easily fit in the space available
Timesavers Super Mini

And these movements with a continuous sweep seconds hand would mimic the original smooth sweeping seconds hand if it fits.
Continuous Sweep

They are cheap enough to get both and see which one works the best. Don't forget to get some hands and the parts to bump the swing!
Allan

Allen Mocklin

NAWCC Member
Sep 10, 2015
Hi Allen,
I did not capture the model number of the movement used.
These should easily fit in the space available
Timesavers Super Mini

And these movements with a continuous sweep seconds hand would mimic the original smooth sweeping seconds hand if it fits.
Continuous Sweep

They are cheap enough to get both and see which one works the best. Don't forget to get some hands and the parts to bump the swing!
Allan
Thanks, I will order a couple today.

Movementman

Oct 30, 2012
Hi Allan, I have a Mastercrafters clock with just the girl, the fiber gear is gone and I have tried to find one, none to be found. I would like to convert mine to the Quartz movement, could you tell me which one was used for the conversion that will fit. The clock belonged to my mother and I just had my first granddaughter and I would like to get it running for her. Last year I converted two Micky Mouse wall clocks for the 70's to quartz and they work perfect.
Thanks, Allen Mocklin
What Movement does yours have? If it's the Sunbeam one there are replacement gears available.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michael.winstock@btintern
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Aurora's 15 Ruby Jewel Movements by Greg Frauenhoff

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.