Master Restorer recommendation for Mystery Clock

Alain40

Jun 15, 2019
Country
Own this beautiful Robert Houdin mystery clock. Sometimes called triple mystery, with both hour and minute hands on a glass dial, and a glass column to separate it from its base.

It -almost- works but gets stuck from time to time . These mystery clocks are very finicky with small gears and worm gears and, I have read, are tricky to get running smoothly.

I need recommendations for a fearless, expert clock restorer who can bring it back to its former glory.

HoudinClock.jpg

Thank you!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That is one beautiful clock! I'm very familiar with mystery clocks, but will admit that this one baffles me. Usually, the clear dial turns inside the dial bezel, but on yours this can't be the case, because the dial contains the numbers!
Are there perhaps two pieces of glass in the dial? One that turns and one that doesn't? I don't see any way for the movement to be in the base and transferred to the hands.
I also don't see a chord. Does it wind up?

Alain40

Jun 15, 2019
Country
Yes 2 pieces of glass in the dial and inner tubes to transmit motion from the base to the dial in top. Yes it wound up and has an hour chime.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Very cool. I'm jealous, Alain! Timesavers published a tutorial on how to rebuild a typical mystery clock. You can still get it on their website I think, and it's free.
Edit: I looked, but only found this. If you want the other, let me know by PC (private conversation).

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
Very cool. I'm jealous, Alain! Timesavers published a tutorial on how to rebuild a typical mystery clock. You can still get it on their website I think, and it's free.
Edit: I looked, but only found this. If you want the other, let me know by PC (private conversation).
Houdin clocks are works of art (as are his automatons). The Jefferson clock would be no help in understanding this one.
He was a mechanical genius and is considered the father of modern magic and the guy who Harry Houdini used as a namesake.
This particular clock has always been a fascination for me and I've often thought of making a replica.
Its principle of operation is much like the Etlage 'Reclame', LeCoultre 'Mystery' or Rex Cole 'Boots Boy' but has the added complication of the glass tubes.

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I has to be similar to the Jefferson in function and principle. I assume the tubes turn, transferring power from the base to the gear that turns the glass. No mystery is a mystery when you understand it. I'd love to see a clock like that though.

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
I has to be similar to the Jefferson in function and principle. I assume the tubes turn, transferring power from the base to the gear that turns the glass. No mystery is a mystery when you understand it. I'd love to see a clock like that though.
Yeah. You're right. This is the one that has miniature motion work gears at the place where the hands mount to the glass. It differs from the Jefferson clock in the weight that the Jefferson clock includes to drive and sync the hour hand via gravity.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boostedbox
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool