• For those of you who were having issues connecting to the Forums, it turns out that our modem was not functioning properly. We have replaced it now and the connection to the Forums has been restored. Thank you for your patience.

Master/NEW Master clocks

LedZep

Jul 16, 2020
Country
I already have a number of Schatz & Kundo clocks. My obsession is not slowing. I have had a few Master clocks catch my eye and wanted to know if the Master and New Master clocks are different manufacturers or one in the same. Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject?

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
I understand the New Master is a 100-day clock, although I am quoting others, whereas the Master is a 400-day clock. After working on a steady diet of German torsion-pendulum clocks, I bought a Master for next to nothing and it has proven to be an interesting little piece. It dates from the mid- to late 1950s and was made at that transition point where Japan was figuring out how to build high-quality products. Some of the details of the case are a little rough around the edges but the movement itself is very well thought-out and put together. I just rebuilt it a couple of weeks ago and it responded very well - now making a huge amount of power, with an unnervingly loud "thwack" every time the escapement trips. Note that the mainspring barrel appears to be crimped and will not come apart. Fortunately, the spring action in mine is still very smooth, despite being 60 years old.

"My obsession is not slowing." Well said! Neither is mine - and I'm running out of shelf space!

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
I had similar curiosity and have one of these Nisshin clocks. The clockworks machining is very well done, better than some German ones from the period. The mainspring is sealed and and lubed with synthetic oil and needs no maintenance. Biggest down side of the clock is the extensive use of plastic that just does not hold up well to time. Also the pendulim in mine is about the most sloppy and poorly constructed example of a pendulum I have. Still with a little effort to remove the pendulm slop this clock keeps excellent time.

LedZep

Jul 16, 2020
Country
I understand the New Master is a 100-day clock, although I am quoting others, whereas the Master is a 400-day clock. After working on a steady diet of German torsion-pendulum clocks, I bought a Master for next to nothing and it has proven to be an interesting little piece. It dates from the mid- to late 1950s and was made at that transition point where Japan was figuring out how to build high-quality products. Some of the details of the case are a little rough around the edges but the movement itself is very well thought-out and put together. I just rebuilt it a couple of weeks ago and it responded very well - now making a huge amount of power, with an unnervingly loud "thwack" every time the escapement trips. Note that the mainspring barrel appears to be crimped and will not come apart. Fortunately, the spring action in mine is still very smooth, despite being 60 years old.

"My obsession is not slowing." Well said! Neither is mine - and I'm running out of shelf space!
I'm up to seven now. I've been addicted to old clocks for 34 years when I bought my first, a gravity clock. I have to laugh at myself for taking THAT long to fall for the anniversaries. I REALLY appreciate not having to wind them every 3-7 days!!! Thanks for the insight, some of them are very pretty clocks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willowind
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Bread Upon the Waters by Tom McIntyre