• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Mason and Odd Fellows clocks

Hezekiah

Apr 5, 2007
Massachussetts
Region
Hi,
I don't own these, they came up at auction recently and the pair went for $3000.00 + Buyers premium. Yes..that's not a typo. My questions is, were these special order clocks? Do you know who was making these? They have 30hr movements. Has anyone seen these or something similar before? Just thought they were wonderful (especially the Odd Fellows Clock). The Odd Fellows clock has a replaced dial. Both clocks were made out of wood.

Thanks Hez

Attachments

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Hi,
I don't own these, they came up at auction recently and the pair went for $3000.00 + Buyers premium. Yes..that's not a typo. My questions is, were these special order clocks? Do you know who was making these? They have 30hr movements. Has anyone seen these or something similar before? Just thought they were wonderful (especially the Odd Fellows Clock). The Odd Fellows clock has a replaced dial. Both clocks were made out of wood.

Thanks Hez
Those clocks sold through Skinner this past weekend.

Some additional comments about their condition based upon my examination at the preview.

The fronts were cracked, especially the Odd Fellow clock front..

The Odd Fellow clock was falling apart and had been through nailing campaigns in attempts to keep the front from coming off. The nails were then covered with filler.

Both clocks had repairs and replacements to the applied carvings. Some of the replacements were composition.

As you report, the dial of the Masonic clock was repapered over the original dial pan.

And I thought they were absolutely wonderful and I was the under bidder on-line!

They almost always seem to have condition issues.

The Masonic clock case is attributed to an important Kittery ME carver, John Haley Bellamy.

He took out a number of patents on Masonic clock fronts which were produced by E.N. Welch.

I don't believe that were made in large numbers.

I have seen a number of the Masonic fronts.

I have never seen the Odd Fellow one! I can only assume it was his work, too.

"John Haley Bellamy: Carver of Eagles" by Yvonne Brault Smith is my main source of information. She illustrates some examples, some of the patents and other info. There is a new book about Bellamy based upon a recent exhibit of his work that I haven't yet gotten my hands on. Don't know if there's anything in there. Anyone with information out there?

That carved "heart in hand" makes the folk art people go gah-gah.

In my mind, most of my money would have been for the Odd Fellow clock.

For more information about J.H. Bellamy and 2 examples of his clock with links to additional examples on the Phoenix Masonry virtual museum and other references, see these 2 MB postings:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?85509-Bellamy-Carved-Masonic-Timepiece

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?103802-More-Americana-from-John-Haley-Bellamy

Of course a tease pic below.

RM

Hezekiah

Apr 5, 2007
Massachussetts
Region
RM,

Sorry you didn't win these clocks. I was at the preview also and asked the folks there if I could take pictures (they said yes). All my clock friends drooled over the Odd Fellow clock. Thank you for your In-depth description of the cases. I will check out the "John Haley Bellamy: Carver of Eagles" book.

Hez

Last edited: