• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Marti French Clock

Botlared

Jul 8, 2017
1 The Avenue Malvern East Vic Australia
Country
Region
I have a Samuel Marti clock circa 1900. The case is green onyx and has a bronze figure of a woman on top of rhe case. The whole thing stands about 2 foot high. The clock has no pendulum. I have been able to determine the overall length and have a pendulum rod and a hook that fits nicely onto the suspension spring. The rod also fits nicely between the escapement bracket. I have a number of pendulum bobs but can't seem to find any information on the weight of this. Can any one be able to help. Best regards,
John Baker.....from Australia

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
John. Theoretically the weight of the bob doesn’t alter the period of its swing. Have you tried one that looks right and seen how it goes? What is your concern about the weight?

claussclocks

NAWCC Member
Mar 14, 2013
Texas
Country
Region
Please show the back of the movement. there should be a number at the bottom center that indicates the length of the pendulum.

Reactions: Botlared

Botlared

Jul 8, 2017
Country
Region
Sorry its taken time to get back to you. I am still trying to navigate the site. I think I am getting there. I do not know if I have a concern about the weight of the bob. I'll just plead ignorance on this. I have tried running the clock but is not running that well. I have to get permission to start disassembly. Then clean and test. Is there any thing I need to be carefull of with this clock, apart from the obvious. I have worked on a few French movements, including Japee Feres. Thanks, John Baker.

claussclocks

NAWCC Member
Mar 14, 2013
Texas
Country
Region
The numbers 37 are the pendulum length is old French
3 is the pouce 27.07mm
7 is the ligne 2.256mm

Pendulum length is (3x27.07=81.21)+(7x2.256=15.79)=97mm or 3.81"
I would recommend a 1 3/8" bob

You can buy cut to length pendulums from Ronell, Timesavers, and others. Allow yourself some adjustment room.
Personally, I have a spare French pendulum hook that I have soldered onto a piece of American suspension rod. When I get the pendulum I slide it onto that rod and lock it in place with the set screw on the bob until I get the pendulum length right while giving me some adjustment for faster and slower then cut the universal rod to match and move the bob over. Saves accidentally ruining an adjustable rod.

Last edited:

claussclocks

NAWCC Member
Mar 14, 2013
Texas
Country
Region
Those are really nice movements. Just note current position of all pins and levers. French pivots are hardened and do not bend well. If you bend one it will not bend back. Be prepared to re-pivot or have it done if you cannot do it. I always recommend removing and cleaning the springs. Use a spring winder. French springs do not do well for me if they are just spiraled out of the barrel and back. They are prone to coning which I was taught causes power loss. Use a lighter oil for French clock springs. Several are available. Wipe plates frequently or wear latex gloves to handle the movement during reassembly if you don't want finger spots on the brass. Use caution and have fun.

Botlared

Jul 8, 2017
Country
Region
Thanks for the very good advice and your time. I have learned by experience to carefully record all pin and lever positions. Have bushing and spring winder, so will have fun. There is always something that raises it's ugly head when repairing clocks and it's always a great feeling when the problem is solved. I intend to make a donation to your organization. Not sure how much yet....will have to check with my power of attorney(wife).
Once again, thank you. John Baker.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
I've only come across one source, The French Marble Clock by Thorpe, with details on the weight of French pendulum bobs for this type of movement which is based on the type of escapement. The details are below, the reason for the differences is the number of teeth the pallets span so the less teeth the lighter the weight. The English anchor is apparently the most commonly found escapement on these movements. The author notes the figures are nominal and may vary from one movement to another. The book also illustrates the different types of bobs used and covers the servicing and repair of these movements, it is available second hand at reasonable prices so you may find a copy worth getting.

Small anchor with silk suspension 30 grams
As above spring suspension 30-60 grams
Gable anchor and Brocot escapement, spring suspension 100-500 grams
English anchor with spring suspension 70 grams
Brocot with mercury pendulum 250 grams

Reactions: Botlared

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Botlared - The Melbourne clock club should have one in the library, if not I can loan my copy to them next time I am back down there - let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jlb22
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-