Marshall Peerless Watchmakers lathe - buying tips

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by jedintexas, Apr 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jedintexas

jedintexas New Member
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I don't own a lathe and have never owned a lathe. There is a Marshall Peerless lathe for sale locally. The pictures show several attachments, different rests, etc. The lathe is an 8mm and includes a single collet. I would not need to restore or repair anything (supposedly)

Would this be a good lathe for doing clock work? Any recommendations on what to look for before I decide to purchase? Thanks in advance!

2. sharukh

sharukh Registered User

Oct 10, 2011
    Doctor
    Mumbai, India
    Country Flag:
    This has been discussed so many times on the message board.

Besides, why are you looking to buy a "watchmaker's" lathe if you intend to use it for clock work ?

The fact that it includes only a single collet is a big no no. Besides, collecting all the accessories will add to your cost considerably.

The collective wisdom in the past has been to buy a modern lathe like the Sherline or Taig or Cowell's. The plus points with these are that all are in production with accessories and spares being easily available.

Sharukh

3. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Jed, and welcome,

Sharukh is quite right about getting the right lathe for your type of work, and also that a watchmaker's lathe wouldn't be much use if you intend to concentrate on clocks. I suggest that you do a search here for posts by Jerry Kieffer, whose knowledge and experience of all types of lathe is considerable.

Regards,

Graham

4. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:

Name ?

As Sharukh and Graham have mentioned, there is much information that has been discussed in the past.

I would first try to determine what exactly you will use a lathe for. Will it be strictly Clocks and or other types of work. Not all machine tools are created equal and as such, some will have far greater capabilities than others. This can only be sorted out by hands on experience and research. However, demonstrations are by far the most productive form of evaluation. While opinions can be helpful, only if the person giving them has the same interests and standards as yourself.

Personally, when I purchase a machine, I try to visualize how I would machine each part from bar stock on the items I wish to use it for before purchase.

One of the best sources of getting up to speed are Model engineering shows. These shows highlight the use of machine tools for many things including Horological. The people behind the tables of the displays have machined each and every part in many cases.

The Next Model engineering show will be the "North American Model Engineering Show " April 22-23 in the Detroit area.

http://www.namesexposition.com

If you or anyone else are in the area and planning to attend with the above concerns, feel free to look me up. (Just ask the Show people to point me out)

I will make sure that you get a tour of the various machines and some hands on experience as well as Demo`s.

Jerry Kieffer

5. jedintexas

jedintexas New Member
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I plan to use a lathe only for clocks. If you guys recommend sticking with a modern machine I'll do that. Thanks!

Sorry for rehashing a decided issue.

6. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No need to apologize. Yes, it's an issue that has been discussed many times, but there's no harm in further discussion. Do a search on this message board for 'Sherline' and you will find many of these past discussions. (And, that is probably the lathe you should consider for clock work.)