"Marked" Pillar and Scroll Clock

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Sooth, Jun 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    During the recent (and just completed) restoration of a lovely Wadsworth, Lounsbury & Turners wooden works pillar and scroll, I made an interesting discovery. This case appears to bear a maker's stamp pressed into the wood in the top board. I don't know how I missed it for several months while moving the case around, making repairs, and cleaning, but when it came time to wipe-off some hide glue, the stamp was revealed in full detail, and I was quite amazed to see it.

The stamp is the sort you would typically see as an owner's mark on woodworking tools of the early 1800s, and it's a simple rectangle reading H JUDD.

The only 2 references regarding a "Judd" that I found are:

Roberts & Taylor:
    Henry L. Judd, Torrington, 1835, case type "cc" E. Hodges shop, documentation: L, M
    cc = stencilled column & splat, short pendulum (with same variations)

Palmer:
    Judd, Henry: Wolcottville (Torrington), Conn. n/d. Name on shelf clock paper.

Both, however, would seem to be dated a bit late for a pillar and scroll case. Are there any other "marked" cases out there? I'd love to know if anyone has any addition information.

The current photos I have aren't very good, but I will take better ones soon.

P6060201.JPG P6060205.JPG

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    So, Wadsworth, Lounsbury & Turners (WLT) were in business from 1827 to 1829 in Litchfield.
    Henry Judd was born 1805 (per Spittlers and Bailey) and made cases for Erastus Hodges and others in Torrington, where Judd is found ca. 1835. Hodges was active ca. 1825 to 1837 (again per Spittlers and Bailey).
    Litchfield is located SW of Torrington, which, like Litchfield, is in Litchfield County.
    Although Judd is listed as ca. 1835 in Torrington, it is not impossible he was active 8-10 years earlier; so, he could conceivably made cases for WLT.

Am I too far off base here?

3. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No Steven, that seems entirely possible. I just don't have much information about this Henry Judd fellow, so the date of birth does help. I really need to get a copy of the Spittler & Bailey book. I'd still be curious to know if there are other marked cases out there. It was initially hard to see, so it's possible many have overlooked this detail.

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Yes, it would be interesting to see whether other such clocks are out there. Otherwise, information on Henry Judd may have to come by channeling his spirit through a competent medium. I found one mention of him in a 1952 issue of the Bulletin, a bare mention providing no other information than what we can glean elsewhere.

5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Hi Sooth.

My recollection of Henry L. Judd (if that is in fact who die stamped your P&S case) is as a case maker for Hodges and North. He took their Torrington-type movements in trade for cases. He then cased the movements generally in 1/4 column and splat "transition" clocks.

SO, that lead me to my go to reference on all things Torrington, Lanzo and Brown.

Page 100 of that reference has a nice little summary about him.

Also see Chris Bailey's Bulletin article:

http://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1970/articles/1972/161/161_803c.pdf

Scroll down to page 825-827 of that article.

Apparently HJ resided in Litchfield, CT until his marriage to Hannah Beach in 1830 shortly after which the couple relocated to Torrington, CT.. Hannah, by the way, painted tablets for North and Hodges.

So, it is conceivable that he made cases for WL&T of Litchfield before moving to Torrington??

Unfortunately, my Wadsworth and Turner P&S is not easily accessible for an inspection. My recollection is that it is not die stamped like yours.

RM

6. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks so much for the additional info, RM. It would be fun to give your PS clock a closer look once you can get to it.

7. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #7 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Your welcome.

My interest is piqued.

Hopefully will get to it in the coming months?

Or I may just have to conduct a séance in my dining room.

Hodges and North also made pillar and scroll clocks. HJ made cases for them. It would be interesting to know if any of their pillar and scroll clocks is so marked as well? That would be interesting to learn and might strengthen the assumption that the H. Judd die stamp on you case is the mark of that Henry Judd?? Just a thought.

RM

8. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Before:

P7260023.JPG

After:

P6120234.JPG

PatH likes this.
  9. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  10. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice work on saving this clock. The finding of the stamped casemakers signature is certainly new to P&S cases in my experience. While it is not uncommon for seatboards to be stamped in a number of tall clocks, mantle clocks bearing stamps are virtually unknown, and even more unlikely is stamping on what is evidently a fairly "late" pillar and scroll, 1827-1828 and is supported by the very early working times of the case maker, perhaps working as an "apprentice?" as said above.

11. jimkatzin

jimkatzin Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Sooth,

Interesting find. I looked at five of my W, L, & T pillar and scrolls last night, and I did not find the Judd stamp on any of them, but I did not do a very thorough inspection. Your dial does not look like any of my W,L&T dials, but it would help to confirm that with a picture of the back of the dial. Also, do you have any shots of the movement?

12. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Well, I finally plowed through the stuff and looked at the top of my Wadsworth and Turner P&S. Only able to look at the top board as it is still rather buried as you can see:

wadsworth 5.JPG

Here are some pix of the top board:

wadsworth 2.JPG wadsworth 1.JPG

Much of it "stock" so the price tags. One of these days will impose order upon my dining room.

No "H JUDD" diestamp at least on the top board.

Pardon my dust. As I say, Hazel quit.

An interesting find.

RM

13. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not dust, patina. At least that's what I tell visitors to our house. I'd much rather learn about clocks than dust them! :D