Marked made in Great Britain Munsters?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Michael Castellano, Mar 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Michael Castellano

Michael Castellano New Member

Mar 26, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    A3CE7866-BF90-4FD8-9740-1C21079AC21E.jpeg I’d appreciate any help on ID on company that made this watch and year made please Munsters made in Great Britain thanks

2. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Movement picture is needed...

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

The Munsters (a transfer?) has clearly been added later and not very skilfully. The watch looks like a cheap pocket watch perhaps from the 1950s, but as pmwas says, we need to see the movement.

If you can remove the back and post a photo of the movement, I am sure someone will be able to identify the maker for you.

JTD

4. zacandy

zacandy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Is it timex maybe? Made in Dundee Scotland uk?

As jtd says from the 1950s 1960s.

It was a little before my time but I do not think munsters was shown on UK TV until the 1980s on channel four. Wikipedia tells me the TV show started in the 1960s 1964 so made in UK and exported to the USA in bulk.

Not of horological interest but there is a great BBC documentary about timex in Dundee that ended in a prolonged bitter strike by the mainly women workers. The factory was then closed by the American owners in 1993. They made modest priced pieces for the mass market. I think I am right in saying this was the last large scale mass watch production in the UK.

BBC Scotland - The Rise and Fall of Timex Dundee

Andrew

5. Lychnobius

Lychnobius Registered User

Aug 5, 2015
    Semi-retired designer & printer
    Redruth, Cornwall, UK
    Country Flag:
    From the style of the crown and bow I would think that the watch was produced by the British branch of the Ingersoll company at its factory in Wales, probably (as JTD and zacandy have said) in the 1950s. The Ingersoll design, with Ingold pin-pallet escapement and stamped-out brass components contained between thin steel plates, originated in America in the late nineteenth century but was also built in Britain from, I think, 1922. Many later British examples were badged with the name 'Smiths'.

I remember The Munsters on British television in my childhood (early 1960s). It is not wholly impossible that the 'Munsters' image was in fact applied at the factory, since some of these Smith/Ingersoll watches included allusions to figures from popular culture; David Thompson's Watches illustrates one which depicts the British comic-book hero Dan Dare ('Pilot of the Future'). However, I take JTD's point that the illustration here seems to have been rather roughly applied – and it does not include any kind of automaton, whereas in the Dan Dare example the spaceman waves a ray-gun in time with the ticking of the escapement.

Oliver Mundy.