Mark all Forums Read

Discussion in 'Forums Help & Notices' started by Dave Coatsworth, Sep 29, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Senior Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Male
    Watch Parts Dealer
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This morning I tried using the 'Mark all forums read' function from work for the first time. It's not working. I suspect it is because it pops up a confirmation and I have pop-ups disabled on my work computer. Is it possible to change this so it works like the old board without the confirmation? Does anyone think having a confirmation is useful?

2. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Male
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave, I am using Firefox with pop-ups disabled. It doesn't stop all pop-ups on this site, but it does on other sites where the pop-ups are invasive, adverts for example. I do not fully understand the logic. To answer your question, at the moment I think it is useful when you are about to mark all forums as read.

John

3. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have pop-ups disabled in my Edge browser. I've had no problems see the dialog boxes to confirm marking forums read. Don't recall seeing this issue on any other website I visit. I thought in the past that another box showed up (maybe depending on the browser) that gave you the open of allowing/disallowing pop-ups from the given website.

Kurt

4. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have pop-ups disabled in my FF. I just made the mistake of selecting "Mark all forums read" assuming I would get a confirmation request, but I didn't. Now I don't know which forums/posts I've read, and which ones are new to me, because it looks like I've read everything. PITA. I'd prefer a confirmation for things like that, especially if they can't be undone.

5. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill -

You're supposed to confirm that the given forum would be marked as red. The "OK" button is highlighted. If you were to hit the Enter key when the pop-up wasn't even on the screen, or maybe hidden, would that effectively agree to the action? Maybe that's what happened in your case??

Kurt

6. Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I saw NO confirmation message, but I THINK I remember that when I've done it previously, it asked for confirmation. But it doesn't ask now, whether I select mark all forums as read, or just the current one. It juse does it.

7. Dave Coatsworth

NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Male
    Watch Parts Dealer
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK, I'm home now and just tried it. I got a pop-up box asking me to confirm that I really wanted to mark all threads read.

8. Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just to be clear - you're not talking about this selection box, are you? mark.png
    I was expecting an "Are you SURE?" pop-up after I selected ALL. I wouldn't necessarily expect that for only the forum I'm actually looking at because it would make sense to assume I AM sure that I want to mark that one. But I would expect a confirmation request for the global mark ALL command. Unless it assumes that since I'm an Admin, I know what I'm doing.

9. Dave Coatsworth

NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Male
    Watch Parts Dealer
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As you were responding, I was discovering that the message box changes depending on where you are. If you are at the top level, it is just a confirmation. If you are in a forum, it's a choice box. Here are the two different boxes. My preference would be to have the "mark forums read" function work like the old message board where there's no additional interaction necessary and no pop-ups that can be foiled by a pop-up blocker. I was wondering how everyone else felt about this.

MarkForumsRead.jpg MarkAllForumsRead.jpg

10. Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe I was thinking about your second screen shot, and was mis-remembering. My gut says that it should require confirmation. Investigating "What happens if I click THIS button?" shouldn't cause something that can't be undone to happen. If it pulls up a selection/confirmation box, there's no harm done.