Marine: marine ship chronometer made by Dillon & Tuttle in N.Y. u.s.a. arround 1867

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by masterwatchmaker, Nov 30, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    There were many chronometer makers in the United States including the ones you listed above. Is that text yours or are you quoting someone else?

All of the chronometer makers worked exactly like their English and European counter parts. i.e they made some instruments in house and had many instruments delivered to them by a chronometer house, typically in the UK, with their own name engraved. The reason was that they could make more money selling chronometers of good quality made by others and only needed to make some for prestige.

The "regulator" that they applied to stock chronometers was almost always an improvement to the standard chronometer balance.

I noticed the auction where you purchased your chronometer and I think the price was fair. I recently purchased a John Roger Arnold for about the same price and another American piece by Eggert & Son in a bit better condition that is currently being restored. I will not likely restore the Arnold because it needs a bit too much work. I collect these pieces both as machines to enjoy and as documents of the history of the art. They do not all need to be running for that purpose.

2. masterwatchmaker

masterwatchmaker Registered User

Nov 30, 2016
    some of texte were mine and some from that page http://blisschron.org/jbliss.html

john Bliss virtual museum i contacted mr Norman Bliss the curator

for my self i am the only one of my watchmaking scool to win a scolarship to study in switzerland at LausanneC.F.H. all fees paid 10 430.00cdn$ no other student received any i got it because it was the years of the youth and it was in 1985 so there was some budget for overseas study

3. Marco C.

Marco C. Registered User

Nov 13, 2016
    Sorry for using a wrong term, English is not my native tongue. I meant the "helical spring+compensated balance wheel" component. What does one call it? Controller? Oscillator?

Marco

4. masterwatchmaker

Nov 30, 2016
    oscillator is fine Marco :)

5. gmorse

gmorse Registered User

Jan 7, 2011
    Hi Marco,

The jargon can catch all of us out from time to time! The usual term is "the balance assembly", and the various extra parts sometimes added to the balance wheel, mostly to reduce middle temperature error, are collectively called "compensators", although not all of them actually compensate.

Regards,

Graham

6. tick talk

tick talk Registered User

Sep 16, 2008
    Antiktak, was that your "very first Patek secret wristwatch brought in from Ukraine 322253442587" listed on fleabay for half a million? There seems to be a lot of very rare and unique pieces from Ukraine.

7. masterwatchmaker

Nov 30, 2016
    Re: marine ship chronometer made by Dillon & Tuttle in N.Y. u.s.a. arround 1867

hi tick talk

yes its mine might be ordered by tsar alexanderII to patek

- - - Updated - - -

i had to change my name but its me whom was antiktak

8. masterwatchmaker

Nov 30, 2016
    Re: marine ship chronometer made by Dillon & Tuttle in N.Y. u.s.a. arround 1867

the tsars were very interested in fine watchmaking and they loved repeaters and when the revolution apear all watches disapear and they are still in russia some how