Marine: Marine Chronometer Picture Gallery

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by burt, Sep 9, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How about starting a "Marine Chronometer Photo Gallery" featuring members chronometers with a brief description?

I'll start with this English piece made by Septimus Miles circa. 1825. It's a 15 jewel fusee with a fully capped Ernshaw type free sprung balance, spring detent escament with helical hairspring, trapezoidal balance weights and palladium timing screws. This is a pocket size chronometer that was probably gimbaled from the beginning to reduce cost to the buyer. Boxed in Mahogany 155mmX166mmX155mm.

Miles Chronometer 002.jpg Miles 2 006.jpg Miles 2 010.jpg 16913_d.jpg

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 doug sinclair, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    Re: Marine Chronometer Gallery

These two of mine are likely to be the first of many pictures of the Hamilton model XXI and XXII. But here they are.

Model XXI, serial number 2E6125, 14 jewels including diamond end stone in the balance cock, Earnshaw spring detent escapement, 85 size, up/down indicator, helical hairspring, fusee, maintaining power, key wound, key set, built September 1944. With carry case.

Model XXII, serial number 2F7744, adjusted to 6 positions, isochronism, 21-jewels, 36-size, lever escapement, built Aug. 1943, stem wound, stem set, with carry case.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg X image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Here is a Bliss & Creighton #1645. It dates from aprox 1850. The box is made of Rosewood. It also came with it's outer box. When I bought it it had no top lid but I was also looking for a project when I found it. The first two pictures are of it's condition when I bought it. The second two pictures are it's state today. I started making the lid with a single block of Rosewood. I resawed it twice giving me three workable pieces of wood that all had similar grain patterns. I did all the work on it from fabrication (matching the joinery of the rest of the case), to inlaying the brass, color dying to match the original wood parts and finally laying down 5 coats of lacquer.
    Thanks, Paul

DSCN5315.JPG DSCN5314.JPG DSCN5398.JPG DSCN5404.JPG

124Spider likes this.
  4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. Luis Casillas

Luis Casillas Registered User

Oct 16, 2012
    Software
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Well, I'm just getting my feet wet at this point, so for my first chronometer I went for something relatively abundant and unsung, a Russian marine chronometer:

Polyot 21939-1030350.jpg Polyot 21939-1030358.jpg

It came with the outer transport box, as well as the thick protective cloth case that goes around that. And there are still spare parts for sale...

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Hi Luis,

Has the chain "skipped" a groove in the fusee?

Regards,

Graham

7. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Here again are two great timekeepers Hamilton designed for helping the winning of WW2. The Model 21 Marine Chronometer who Cooksey Shugart once wrote in a post (on another discussion board) when he asked the great horologist George Daniels, while visiting his home on the Isle of Man. "Who made the best" marine chronometer? Daniels didn't replay but merely pointed to a Model 21 he had sitting on a table. And the Model 22 gimbaled Chronometer Watch that Hamilton themselves called "the most accurate instrument of its type ever made". That was a statement closely indorsed by Marvin Whitney who worked on and tested thousands of various chronometers at the U.S. Naval Observatory. This Mod 22 never saw military or sea service but was instead used for many years as the primary timing instrument in the watch repair shop of a jewelry store in Jamestown N.Y. Many military surplus chronometers would find themselves in that same capacity after the war. I don't think any true chronometer admirer or collector can ever get tired of looking at too many Hamiltons.

Chronometer 001.jpg Chronometer 002.jpg Chronometer 005.jpg

8. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

"I don't think any true chronometer admirer or collector can ever get tired of looking at too many Hamiltons."

I heartily agree! And to think I nearly didn't buy my model 21 back in 1985, when I discovered it in the collection of an antique dealer in Coupeville, Wash. We were there on vacation. I lucked out on my model 22 when I ran into a guy who had SIX of them!

9. Luis Casillas

Luis Casillas Registered User

Oct 16, 2012
    Software
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Oh, crap, it sure looks like. I'll have to open it up again and check, but boy that's embarrassing, I feel like got a photo taken with my fly open or something. :p

10. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Well while were waiting for someone to post some nice marine chronometer pictures for us to look at here is one I posted on the "European Watch" section earlier this year before we had our own place. This is a Mercer #16955 circa. 1944 that had its original case replaced with an excellent quality "fancy" mahogany one. This chronometer has an interesting civilian history of service and will be the subject of a future Bulletin article next year.

Mercer Chronometer 007.jpg Mercer Chronometer 012.jpg Mercer Chronometer 003.jpg Mercer Chronometer 015.jpg

11. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #11 Paul Regan, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015

Here is a nice Poole, made well before his death and it does have his special compensation.
    Paul

Attached Files:

12. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #12 Tom McIntyre, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018

Here is one from the other Chronometer Gallery in the Message Board's Gallery.
    underdial.jpg 8daymvt.jpg 8daybox.jpg tubwithwinder.jpg boxopen.jpg sideview.jpg platform.jpg dial.jpg

13. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Two really great chronometers! After being spread out just about everywhere on the board I just thought it nice to post pictures right here under our own topic. I also though whoever posts here has an opportunity to give a brief description or note any other "special features" their chronometer may have. In any event thanks for posting.

14. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I was not meaning to be pushy about the Gallery, but I would like to see it developed further for those who are more visual than literary.

The Barraud 8 day is on my web site in the chronometer collection.

The Chronometry section of the Gallery is at https://mb.nawcc.org/gallerydisplay.php?c=21.

15. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Tom,

Didn't take it that way. I think there is more value to having "Gallery Pictures" wherever they are posted than we realize. It was your Dent, in that fantastic Macassor Ebony case that gave me the incentive to go for the "fancy" case on my Mercer. Pictures can be "worth a thousand words" and I would like to see more chronometer pictures posted regardless where a collector decides to do them. I chose not to utilize the "Chronometry section of the Gallery" as I wanted to combine verbiage to them. How else can we note a special feature or historic connection to them?

burt

16. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Anyone who wants to can comment on any Gallery images. The advantage of a post is that you can talk easily about several images at once. I think both are useful.

The performance of the Gallery system is not what it might be because the indexing runs whenever a user clicks on the Gallery link. I will try to improve that when I get a little time.

17. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Could it be considered to perhaps make the Marine Chronometer Gallery as a sticky so as to more effectively attract new additions to the gallery?

18. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Doug,
    I can do that if your suggestion is endorsed by enough people.

I would also insert (Picture) before Gallery.

19. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

A sticky sounds good. I have many pics of my chronometers thar I would post.
    Paul

20. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I go along with Doug and Paul and support that action. (Thanks Jim!)

21. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Thanks to those who liked the idea of a sticky for the marine chronometer picture gallery. And thanks to Jim Haney for setting up the sticky.

22. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I don't think Hamilton or the USNO were too particular about the quality of wood used on their chronometer boxes both inside or outside. I'm glad to say Gary Sellick is and here is an example of his work on a 21. The inside box is mahogany and the outside traditional birch.

Chronometer #2 001.jpg Chronometer #2 007.jpg Chronometer #2 008.jpg

23. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I don't know where I heard it, but I heard that the Heintzman Piano company made Hamilton chronometer boxes. I have also heard that the gimballed cases were Honduran mahogany. But I have seen a variety of other woods used in the carry cases.

24. mdjtlj

mdjtlj Registered User

Aug 17, 2009
    Country Flag:

Greetings,

Here are a couple of mine, 4E004, which is the Whitney 4 orbit model and 3E017, which is one of the 121 models.
    4e004.jpg 34017.jpg

Last picture (attached thumbnail) is N41

Attached Files:

• n41.jpg
      File size:
      62.4 KB
      Views:
  25. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Very nice! A complete trio

The dual break circuit machines did not get a separate model number but here is one of the small group sold to Cal Tech for seismic studies.

DialOnBlack.jpg MovementOnBlack.jpg
    BreakCircClose1.jpg BreakCircClose2.jpg MvtContacts.jpg

26. mdjtlj

mdjtlj Registered User

Aug 17, 2009
    Country Flag:

Roskell 8 Day and Tobias 850

RR Face.jpg MorrisTobia850.jpg

27. mdjtlj

mdjtlj Registered User

Aug 17, 2009
    Country Flag:

HG Blair and Frodsham
    HGBlair1918.jpg ParkinsonFrodsham2117.jpg

28. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #28 doug sinclair, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

In Marvin Whitney's book on the ship's chronometer, page 92, he states:

"On June 26, 1940, Captain F J Hellweg, Superintendant of United States Observatory wrote the Chelsea Clock Co., Elgin, Hamilton, Jaeger, A R & J E Meylan, Seth Thomas, Ingraham, and Waltham, requesting them to manufacture chronometers. ......... All,of these companies turned them down."

"Later, Hamilton reconsidered their position, and on Nov. 4, 1940, Nardin chronometer # 3608 was picked up by Hamilton for study and examination. As a result of their study, a contract was let on February 26, 1941, for Hamilton to prepare a set of drawings."

........... "Knowing that Nardin had won 1,850 national prizes during the various observatories chronometer competitive trials, and the success they had in using the new Guillaume self-compensating balances, the Nardin was selected."

This preamble posted because I have uploaded images of Nardin Chronometer #1852. It is owned by our local naval museum. Several years ago, I was there to photograph the instrument,

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

and to tell the museum what they had. I don't know what year this chronometer is from, or anything about its provenance. But it was indeed my pleasure.

29. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #29 Tom McIntyre, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018

I wonder if there is a relationship between H. G. Blair & Co. and Harry Blair who was a prominent collector and an aficionado of George Daniel's watches.

30. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #30 burt, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015

Mercer, in his book, has John Blair establishing the company as John Blair and Son in 1829. The company is then inherited by the son H.G. Blair who retires from it in 1926 during the "General Strike". Tony Mercers lists Small movements (2 1/2" dia.) circa. 1840,French movements circa.1840, Kullberg movements (1872-1875) and Mercer movements ( 1872-1875) being used. The firm is then sold to a consortium of local ship owners and renamed Blair's Nautical Supplies Ltd. in 1927. A Miss Nellie Smith and her sister Mabel eventually jointly owned the firm until retiring in 1970. All addresses listed for the firm are in England. So it doesn't appear it's "that son" H.G. Blair. Perhaps a heir of his?

I can't read the chronometer dial pictured but Mercer lists: 45 Princess St., Bristol,1829-1890, then 95 Bute Docks, Cardiff, c. 1840 and 17 James St. Cardiff, 1914-1958 with a 53 James St. location listed in 1921.

31. mdjtlj

mdjtlj Registered User

Aug 17, 2009
    Country Flag:

Greetings, dial reads 95 Bute Docks, Cardiff. Just as an FYI, box is a reproduction box, but I'm not sure who/when made it, seems to be English, it doesn't have the traits of Gary Sellick's work.

32. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #32 burt, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2015

Tom,

I don't think they are related as immediate family. Henry George Blair was born April 1,1851, in Bristol to John & Eliza Blair. Henry is listed as an optician in 1881 in Bristol and is married to his wife Grace. At this time they have no children listed. In 1901 he is listed as living in St. John, Glamorgan, as a chronometer maker and employer. He is listed as married but no one else in the family is listed as living with him. 1911 has him living in Cardiff, Glamorgan, Wales again as a chronometer maker and optician. He is listed as married but living with him is an adopted daughter a Millicent Harrell Warren age 42 and a unnamed servant. He reportedly died ( there seems to be a date conflict with Mercer who has him retiring in 1926) 1922 and is buried at Arnos Vale, Bristol Unitary Authority, Bristol, England. This information was researched by my good friend Tom Brown who has helped me out several times in this area of researching historical records which I don't have direct access.

33. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2000

Here is a one day chronometer by John Heron of Greenock, Scotland. Jonathan Betts has suggested a date of 1828? Dial Heron.gif Movement-Heron.gif

34. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Jerry,

Very nice and early chronometer. I have no difficulty in believing Mr. Betts assessment of its age. Those balance weights are a good indicator of an earlier piece. Keep em coming!

35. Jerry Freedman

Sep 16, 2000

Burt: Your article on the history of a Negus chronometer was terrific! I am looking forward to your next article.

Jerry

36. mdjtlj

mdjtlj Registered User

Aug 17, 2009
    Country Flag:

I'm almost done collecting with the five-some that I really want to have in the collection. I've got a very late S/N (2E11269) which was in a jeweler's window for an eternity, but I'm really wanting to add a Maritime Commission edition as well.

Here's a pic of 2E11269:

Hamilton2E11269.jpg

37. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #37 Tom McIntyre, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Re: Mercer Chronometer 15265

The Encyclopedia image tool can also be used in forum posts. Here are three pictures of my Fletcher Chronometer that appears on the cover of Konrad Knirim's book British Military Timepieces. Since these are off topic here, I will move them to the sticky thread at the top. they and a lot of others are in the Encyclopedia Images area, but the descriptions have become garbled during one of our software migrations.

The [IMAGE] tag is much more complicated than the other attachment tools. .
    You can find instructions on using it here: Using Images in Articles

Allan C. Purcell likes this.
  38. watchwldr940

watchwldr940 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2008

bond2.jpg

Here's an early Bond. I believe it dates from 1851-1852 or thereabout. All the hardware is stamped 1851. I have not had a chance to research it further, but will. There is a Bond at our museum as well.
    This is a great idea! I love the unusual ones, and that one Tom posted with the winding indicator disc is Great! George

Attached Files:

39. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Beautiful Bond. I need one in my collection!!
    Paul

40. Jerry Freedman

Sep 16, 2000

Here is a TS Cogdon & Son chronometer. Dates to about 1865 according to Jonathon Betts. Mercer spells the name wrong. Cogdon-movement.gif Cogdon-dial.gif

41. itspcb

itspcb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Retired
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #41 itspcb, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2017
    Jos. Penlington

Nos 1752 & 1786

Peter
    IMG_7697.jpg

IMG_7697.jpg

42. itspcb

itspcb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Retired
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #42 itspcb, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2015
    Thomas Mercer Survey Chronometer

No 19666

Peter
    IMG_7711 ed lo.jpg

43. River rat

River rat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009

Nothing fancy as some of you have here is my Hamilton Model 22 with US Naval chart and a Hamilton Comparing watch
    DSC01342_zpsc0f9fa2d.jpg

44. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

A very artistic and apropos addition to the chronometer gallery. I wish I had your imagination.

45. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Nice combination River Rat. I agree with Doug.
    Paul

46. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

My waterproof, shock resistant, anti-magnetic chronometer

It's a bit large for my wrist even with the gross trend to big wrist watches.
    Interior2_s.jpg Dis_s.jpg Open_s.jpg Front_s.jpg

It weighs about 11.6#.

It has a make break circuit that does work and it's an odd pattern, in that it is not the same as the published examples I have seen but I do not recall what it is.

47. Dave Chaplain

Dave Chaplain Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dr. Jon, nice config! Instead of on your wrist, maybe in a "fanny pack", with the break-circuit wired to a FitBit on your wrist? You can measure the escapement "trips" ... ;)

48. Accutronitis

Accutronitis Registered User

Aug 24, 2014
    Las Vegas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #48 Accutronitis, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2017

Bulova Model TE-18 Navigation Timepiece Experimental Model.......

xyzzytom_290897
    xyzzytom_290899

49. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Re Dave,

I was thinking of posing with it on my arm and submitting it to the What are you wearing thread in wrist watches.

I have measured the intervals with a continuity meter, I just do not recall what the pattern was except that Tom Mcintyre had a description of two sequences and mine differed from both of them.

50. Dave Chaplain

Dave Chaplain Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dr. Jon, make sure you set your arm on a support to photograph your wrist mounted chrono, else you'll pull a muscle! And your M21 reminds me that I have an unusually marked one (marked "Sample 75"), which also has a break circuit, which Bill Tapp took a quick look at and commented that it seemed to have something unusual going on under the dial. I'll have to make some time and take a closer look.