Mappin Brothers Clock

TimeDoctor

NAWCC Member
Nov 7, 2019
Country
I bought this Mappin Bros. clock at an auction in July. It's slate and has a French movement. My theory is the Mappin Bros. were buying clocks and having their name put on them to resell. Does anyone know anything about this clock?

IMG_20201108_100151.jpg IMG_20201108_100158.jpg IMG_20201108_100212.jpg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
mappin brothers clock

i would expect different hands... and want to see the back of the movement, pendulum, etc. (not that i know that much about frenchies, just to get the whole picture)

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
There is quite a bit of information on these threads regarding a jewelry firm by the name of Mappin and Webb in the U.K. Whether there is a connection with Mappin Brothers, I do not know.

I suspect that Mappin Brothers were retailers.

Our U.K. folks will probably provide more information about the firm. As Bruce said, more pictures of the clock will be beneficial.

Regards

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
As was common for retailers, they would have had their name put on the dial.

info about the company, which is still going, and was a good retailer in its day, can be found on Wikipedia Mappin & Webb - Wikipedia

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

Yes, Mappin Bros is indeed the retailer, as the others have said above. I'd say the hands are original, but it is true that you more commonly see either Renaissance style hands (also termed trefoil) or Bréguet style hands on these clocks. As said above as well, we would need to see the movement with the bell off to see if it bears a manufacturer's mark. It's more than likely a Japy Frères or a Marti product, but it could also be one of the many other makers.

Regards.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
They were and still are a well known and respected firm that retailed clcoks, afaik they also bought in movements and cased them.

TimeDoctor

NAWCC Member
Nov 7, 2019
Country
mappin brothers clock

i would expect different hands... and want to see the back of the movement, pendulum, etc. (not that i know that much about frenchies, just to get the whole picture)
I'm certain it's French. It has all the characteristics of a French movement. Most clocks I find by the Mappin Bros. or Mappin and Webb are made of silver, which makes perfect sense. I don't know what kind of movements they have, but I wouldn't be surprised if they bought movements and fit them into their clocks.

IMG_20201109_111116.jpg

TimeDoctor

NAWCC Member
Nov 7, 2019
Country
Hi,

Yes, Mappin Bros is indeed the retailer, as the others have said above. I'd say the hands are original, but it is true that you more commonly see either Renaissance style hands (also termed trefoil) or Bréguet style hands on these clocks. As said above as well, we would need to see the movement with the bell off to see if it bears a manufacturer's mark. It's more than likely a Japy Frères or a Marti product, but it could also be one of the many other makers.

Regards.
Here it is with the bell off. Should have done that above, haha.

IMG_20201109_111617.jpg

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
My wife owns early 20th C oak cased clock with a white metal front retailed by Mappin & Webb, the movement is a pendule de Paris timepiece with lever escapement by Couaillet who did not make the case.

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Here it is with the bell off. Should have done that above, haha.

View attachment 621530
Thanks for the picture. Alas, there doesn't appear to be a manufacturer's stamp as one could expect but this doesn't detract from it in any way, it just means it will be difficult if not impossible to make a specific attribution.

Regards.

TimeDoctor

NAWCC Member
Nov 7, 2019
Country
Thanks for the picture. Alas, there doesn't appear to be a manufacturer's stamp as one could expect but this doesn't detract from it in any way, it just means it will be difficult if not impossible to make a specific attribution.

Regards.
Yeah, it has been difficult to find out anything. I contacted Mappin and Webb, and they will only help me if I go to their store. Mappin Bros. Was only in existence for a few years, so I've narrowed the age down to a decade. But, there are so many more questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodgoff
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller