• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Manufrance wall clocks - a pictorial guide

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Here is a guide for the Manufrance wall clocks, built from 1936 onwards.

Manufrance was the trade name of 'Manufacture Francaise d'Armes et Cycles de St. Ettiene'. This guide will focus on the wall clocks they sold.

The clocks were mainly made by Girod and Odo, however unmodified clocks by FFR and HAC were also sold by Manufrance.

The clocks by Odo and Girod often had a 6 note chime, the St. Etienne chime composed by Reynaldo Hahn in 1936, and rarely ever had Westminster.

They were usually built to a box shape lined with chrome around the edges.

The clocks with this chime were not built after the second world war.

They appear to be most popular in France and Vietnam.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VzvXgZl5co"]YouTube - MF carillon pendule[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2eWj2Q8UKM"]YouTube - MF gongtrang[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqVcuXVeQsQ&feature=related"]YouTube - MF moi[/ame] 83853.jpg 83854.jpg 83855.jpg 83856.jpg 83857.jpg 83858.jpg 83859.jpg 83860.jpg 83861.jpg 83862.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Thank You CCF for the nice pics and the valuable info on these,my favorite box clocks.Thank god they´re quiet underrated upto now in relation to their quality,so You can get them for reasonable prices.I have two of them.The sound is great!
Burkhard

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
You're welcome. It's always fun to make these guides. They are one of my favorites, too.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
CCF, at first sound, it sounds like a Westminster chime gone bad. Have to listen to it through a few quarters to pick up that it is something else.
I've always wondered what the connection between Girod, ODO, and Vedette might be, as the dials, cases, and pendulums look very similar. Great thread.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
A 'well done' from me, as well! Unusual chime, as in the Scotto tune from Odo, it doesn't repeat with 4 + 1 = 2 + 3 like a Whit or West.

Harold, is it just a sort of nationalistic style, as in, say, OG's or English dials which were made by many factories but had similar designs and appearance?

sonicod

New User
Feb 17, 2011
Great post. I have one MF clock and i would like to know its value.
Does anyone knows?

Thanx!

bridekirk

Oct 22, 2013
I have recently purchased a clock made by Manufrance and marked St Etienne. I bought is as a St Etienne Chime, but it does not sound like the St Etienne Chimes I have heard. Did the company have any other chimes? I do collect clocks with unusual chimes and have many and thought it might have been Cloche du jurees but its isn't. I am quite confused really. It is a single chime clock. Of course they may be different versions

bridekirk

Oct 22, 2013
[video=youtube;8YQxuemMbCA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YQxuemMbCA&feature=share&list=UUqtwfpLOlb MMdA3JaREGvtA[/video]

bridekirk

Oct 22, 2013
Steven Thornberry;817010 said:
Your link seems busted, John. Anyway to recover what you meant to post?
sorry bit new to forums have put new link below. Hope this one works :)

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
bridekirk;817062 said:
sorry bit new to forums have put new link below. Hope this one works :)
Ya done good. It sounds quite nice. Is this one of yours?

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
I've never heard this chime before. I initially thought it may just be Westminster playing on the wrong chime rods, though the pattern doesn't quite match. Your clock looks like an FFR product, of which Manufrance retailed examples usually played Westminster.

It is worth noting some of the French makers often made up 4 note chimes as a convenient way to implement a second chime melody while using the same notes as the Westminster chime. I've only seen one example that played the French tune alone, and it was also a Manufrance product. However it was made by Girod and played Cloches du Jura.

In any instance, you own a very nice clock and it does sound nice.

bridekirk

Oct 22, 2013
Yes I bought it off ebay as a St Etienne, but when it arrived was very confused lol. It does sound nice I agree so even though it was not what I was looking for I decided to keep it as it was a reasonable price at £ 99.00 Sterling. I have quite a few French clocks with unusual chimes now but still want a St Etienne and a Gai Carillon ( which I love) and also an Ave Maria Gunod. getting hard to come by !!

bridekirk

Oct 22, 2013
Well chimeclockfan, my initial disappointment is fading, as I am starting to enjoy the unexpected chimes, though my home is beginning to sound a bit like a cathedral Bell Tower especially at 12 noon and midnight,and I have to have them set at 3 min intervals or else they all sound off at once which is not pleasing to the ear lol, but they are very entertaining. My favorite to both listen to and look at is my HAC Frere Jacques it has a gorgeous tone. Another Ebay buy !. Lik you I thought it sounded a bit like a Westminster "gone off" but as it is so melodic I think not

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
These French clocks do tend to wield some interesting chime melodies. It was only a few years ago I thought they always played Westminster or Ave Maria - and nothing else. The more one learns... o:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JBowers
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Private Label Watch by Kent