Mantle Clock Project

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by bkrownd, Jun 27, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bkrownd

bkrownd Registered User

Jan 28, 2017
    Steamy Hilo, HI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I decided I need some Whittington chimes in my life. After looking around at new and vintage clocks I decided the easiest way to have a fun and satisfying clock is to get an old clock case that appeals to me and install a new movement. I have a case on the way, but I need to decide on movements, chime rods, dial, etc after it gets here.

The obvious selection of triple chime movements are Hermle 1050 and Kieninger SEW or JE. I know the dimensions for the Hermle 1050 movement. Does anybody know the dimensions of the dial hole pattern for Kieninger SEW and JE winding arbors?

2. bkrownd

bkrownd Registered User

Jan 28, 2017
    Steamy Hilo, HI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was able to get some dimensioned drawings of the movements directly from Kieninger, so I'll be able to consider the fit of all 3 movements when I have my case in hand.

3. bkrownd

bkrownd Registered User

Jan 28, 2017
    Steamy Hilo, HI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 bkrownd, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    I got an old Bulova electric mantle clock case for my project. The wood has some heavy uneven dark finish on the flat veneer surfaces that I'd like to refinish to lighten and smooth it up a bit, but the details on the lower edge and ends of the case are in good condition. The original Bulova dial surface was a bit scratched up and stained, though the numbers, hands and bezel glass were in good condition. I'll get a new dial anyway. The original dial and bezel was about 7" across, and there is ample room inside the case for a movement and chime rods, and a nice screen door on the back of the case to let the chimes sound out.

I'm guessing that I'm going to get a Hermle 1050 movement since there seems to be plenty of room inside the case for it. Having never done this before and with no parts on hand to test, I need to figure out the best hand shaft length. The front of the case is a half inch (13 mm) thick.

original.jpg

4. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello bkrownd,
    We are looking forward to seeing your project progress. Thought I would offer a few locations you might try for more information on these movements.

Black Forest Imports has provides good photos and some dimensions of the Hermle movements.
    Butterworth Clocks says they are the largest supplier of Hermle movements in the US. It easiest to just call them 563-263-6759 for information. They are very helpful. They probably have some "non-standard" movements if necessary, such as extra long hand shafts or different pendulum lengths.

Are you thinking of using a balance wheel or pendulum movement? I will stir up some controversy by saying the balance wheel movements are more accurate and durable as they can be moved around without removing the pendulum. For a clock this size, they will also have a slower beat rate which I find more soothing than the fast rate of a short pendulum.
    Allan

5. bkrownd

bkrownd Registered User

Jan 28, 2017
    Steamy Hilo, HI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 bkrownd, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Thanks for the input. I'm going to use a balance wheel movement to keep my first installation simple. I bought a second slightly taller mantle clock case as a backup option and may try a pendulum with that one at some future date.

I would like to consider using the original Bulova face and hands that came with this case, but I'm uncertain of the best way to deal with the scratches and discolored areas on the dial surface. I should be able to drill the winding arbor holes easily enough. If I don't use the Bulova dial I already have another dial on order anyway.

6. bkrownd

bkrownd Registered User

Jan 28, 2017
    Steamy Hilo, HI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is there a rule of thumb for selecting hand shaft length, or do I need to get a detailed technical drawing of the movement from the manufacturer to split hairs and choose the right one down to the millimeter? The front of my case is 0.5" thick, and the Hermle 1050 movement comes with 33.2mm or 27.6mm hand shafts. Both seem reasonable for my purpose, but I don't have a drawing for the Hermle movements. I'd guess that to be cautious I should just order the 33.2mm hand shaft model and use some washers if the hand shaft too long, but I'd like to get the dimensions right if I can.

For example, I have a detailed drawing for the Kieninger SEW movement which lists 5 hand shaft lengths. The Kieninger mounting legs are 16mm tall, which makes the dial face about 16 mm(legs)+13 mm(case)+2 mm(dial)=27 mm above the movement face. I'm not sure how much room I should allow for hands and nut beyond that. My wall clock suggests another 8mm above the dial face? In that case should I aim for roughly 37mm hand shaft length? The SEW diagram list the closest model to that as the "ZW13" 35.8 mm model. I'm just thinking out loud to get some feedback on my thought process.

Dave T likes this.
  7. bkrownd

bkrownd Registered User

Jan 28, 2017
    Steamy Hilo, HI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I bought this larger backup case which arrived today, though I think the movement and chimes will fit in the Bulova case. The opening in this one is 6" diameter. I need to repair a little section of the edge decoration.

mantle case 2.jpg