Mantle Clock Identification

NATLOL

Dec 3, 2006
Hi all, My neighbour rescued this clock the other week and gave it to me because he knows I have a small collection. I am not overly keen on the clock but said I would try and identify it and get it running.

The clock is very heavy and appears to be part marble? The front section with the door is brass as is the rear door. The movement is a simple time piece and I havent removed it yet. I havent been able to test it yet because it requires an extremely small key which I will have to order. The dial appears to be ceramic / porcelein.

Anyway here are the pic.

Comments most welcome.

Attachments

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
NATLOL,

I think the clock is a recent Chinese reproduction. Although the case looks French, the movement does not. The hand pattern is one often seen on recent Chinese clocks. I don't recall seeing the brass ornament around the dial on any real French examples, but it's possible. Overall, a nice looking clock, in my opinion, even if not old.

Charles E. Davis

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Nov 6, 2000
La Verne, CA
Country
Region
China exporters are really confusing the clock field. They are "upgrading" many of the older Japanese clocks by replacing dials and adding features such as simple calendar. This is like the watch switching the Jon Hanson is so irate about. The bulk of this clock could be old with just a few jazzed up features.

laprade

Natlol,

I think you'll find that the grey stone could be granite, if the clock came from China.

Granite wasn't used by the french as it was too costly to move and machine. The Belgian marble that is used for the black clocks had the advantage, because of the river Sheldt, which enabled the easy export of the stone.

Over 3/4 s of Belgian clock case production was exported to UK and US.

The chinese currently export many tonnes of granite, much to the chagrin of other producers, e.g. Eire, which had a granite industry. Even Spanish production has been effected by cheaper Chinese exports.

NATLOL

Dec 3, 2006
Thank you very much for your interesting replys. I will remove the movement and see if there are any markings on the front. The movement, face and back door appear to be held in place by two brass straps that connect everything together. I will post pics when i have it apart. The hands do look like cheap chinese efforts but the dial does seem to be porcelein.

The person who my neighbour got it from said that it had been in the loft for a very long time but how long I am not sure about. Oddly enough I have found a key wedged on the inside but this key does not wind the clock.

Many thanks for the replys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawasemi
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry