mantle clock does not strike on the hour

Bob.Hazell

Oct 11, 2012
Dear members,
Can anyone offer any suggestions as I have had moms mantle clock for 3 years since she died and its worked perfectly.Unfortunately the last couple of weeks it won't strike the hours.The 1/4 hrs play the tunes still. The clock has 3 winders 1,clock 2,the 1/4 hrs 3,the hourly strike.I managed to get it to strike on two occations since by tweaking the winder from the face side but it refuses to strike since.It is wound as far as it will go but I don,t think I have overwound it as its quite tough.I think it was made in the 1930s as far as I can tell.Is WD40 a no no on
the mechanism or sewing machine oil which I have.I look forward to receiving some replys
Kind regards Bob Hazell

gilbert

NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2009
Country
Region
It sounds like its in need of proper servicing to bring it back into working order. It is not possible to overwind it unless you force it enough to break it. WD40 is for sure a no no, clock oil is the only thing that should be used (again a proper cleaning and oiling is a better way to go)

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
Welcome Bob, I see you have found this forum. It would be very helpful if you could post pictures of your clock / movement. No please do not use WD-40. Has you clock ever had any service down to it? Such as a thorough cleaning and lubrication?

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Hi
Yes, WD40 is a no-no. It is not a lubricant, though it may appear
to make the clock work as a solvent to loosen old oil. Still don't
use it. Most shops will charge extra for a movement that has been sprayed.
It's initial purpose to to remove water from ignition systems, such
as boat engines and such. To do this, it need to absorb the water.
If left on the clock it will actually cause corrosion. It will continue
to absorb water from the air as well.
It is recommended to use a good quality clock oil, although, until
you clean or have the movement clean ( soon ), the sewing machine
oil shouldn't do much harm. The old oil and dust will do harm though
and need to be removed.
Tinker Dwight

Bob.Hazell

Oct 11, 2012
Dear David S Please find pics Ihave been Qtd. £50-£120 for service as its never had one do youthink thats resonable? Kind Regards Bob workingsmall.jpg clock small.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I couldn't do it for that. If you can get a proper repair for £120 I'd say do it! That's a bargain :) Stretched over 20 years, that's only £.5 per month. You couldn't buy batteries for that :D

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
Make sure you know the qualifications of the repairperson. Just because they call themselves that doesn't mean they are. Are they going to do a complete tear-down, cleaning, bushings, remove springs from barrels, polish pivots, and reassemble, oil with proper oil, and test. If they are not going to disassemble the movement, find someone who will.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Larry makes an excellent point. If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TopherDale
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre