Mantel Clock

Josephcamaro

New User
Sep 13, 2021
Country
Hello to all! My Mother-In-Law gave me this mantel clock and I have been unable to find any information as to its age or what the clock is representing. Would this clock be worth restoring? Any information would be helpful. I included some pictures in hopes this help.

clock1.jpg clock2.jpg clock3.jpg

EscapeWheel

Mar 19, 2003
Country
Region
That's a beautiful clock - well worth getting it running. I'm going to guess she is Melpomene, muse of tragedy because of the mask. Sometimes she's holding a sword - I can't see what's in her right hand.
I wish my mother-in-law was as nice!

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board.

Yes, indeed, well worth restoring this clock.

It is French (there may be a maker's name or logo near the bell). The name you can see in your photo is that of Hy. Marc in Paris, who was a very well-known supplier of clocks, both wholesale and retail. He likely did not make the clock.

From what I can see, it looks to be complete, but the movement is very dirty and dusty and badly needs a proper service and overhaul. Once done, this is a clock which should run for many years if looked after and, as it is a present from your mother-in-law, it could become a family heirloom to be passed down.

Date? Perhaps 1860-80.

JTD

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
As to date, Henry Marc was active in the mid 19th century, and the clock would date from that time, say some time around 1860 to 1890 as a broad guess.

Josephcamaro

New User
Sep 13, 2021
Country
Hello to all! My Mother-In-Law gave me this mantel clock and I have been unable to find any information as to its age or what the clock is representing. Would this clock be worth restoring? Any information would be helpful. I included some pictures in hopes this help.

View attachment 671499 View attachment 671500 View attachment 671501
Thank you all for the information. I removed the bell and included a manufacturers stamp picture. I also included pictures of the front and back of the pendulum. Does this information help any trying to date this clock. Also I will note that the mask in the photo above has curly hair and there appears to be another face/mask protruding from the back bottom of the chair. Has anyone seen this clock before? I have tried the internet to no avail. Thanks again to all.

View attachment 671499 View attachment 671500 View attachment 671501
Thank you all for the information. I removed the bell and included a manufacturers stamp picture (the date stamp is 1835). I also included pictures of the pendulum with numbers stamped on it. Do those number tell anything?. Does this information help date this clock. Also I will note that the mask in the photo above has curly hair and there appears to be another face/mask protruding from the back bottom of the chair. Has anyone seen this clock before? I have searched the internet to no avail. Thanks again to all.

20210914_143800.jpg 20210914_144740(1).jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I removed the bell and included a manufacturers stamp picture (the date stamp is 1835).
Welcome to the forum.

The trademark to which you refer is not a date stamp. It indicates that the firm of Japy, which made your movement, won an award in that particular year. It does not indicate that your clock was made in that year.

These clocks are difficult to date precisely. I agree with Zedric's estimate .

And yes, it is worthy of restoration!

Regards.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
While not exactly identical, the statue on yours could have been a copy of something like this one

I’m sure if you keep looking you will find something very similar with google

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevemn
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-