Mantel Clock - Hermle - Kieninger

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Willfeel, Aug 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Willfeel

Willfeel Registered User

Aug 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
  2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

If you want to know my honest opinion, I would not buy a modern reproduction clock from either of these manufacturers. I would use the money to buy a good quality antique clock - the modern movements are not built to last while the old ones were much more durable. Many 100-year old clocks are running happily today, while others only 20-30 years old are pretty much dead. Also the materials used to make the modern cases are often not very good.

That's just my opinion - it may not be yours and it may not be the that of others on this board, but it's what I think. I am sure others will be along soon to give you their thoughts.

JTD

3. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the board.

I agree completely with JTD.

Regards.

4. Willfeel

Willfeel Registered User

Aug 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have read some things online that fully match what you are saying. However, I have also read that Hermle movements have improved substantially in recent years. What I have read about Kieninger is that they have something more quality than Hermle, but they are more difficult to handle in case of repair. I will wait for more opinions. Thank you very much!!

5. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It depends on what you want and your aptitude. Do you want to buy a clock, put it in place and have it work, or are you okay with used and probably having to tinker to get it going. If you just want a clock that runs and not to mess with it, buy a modern one, but be aware it will be of lesser quality and not last as long as an earlier clock. If you don't mind tinkering and are willing to clean and recondition or repair, I agree with the above. Whether Hermle or Kieninger is better, I can't help much there since I only deal with older clocks sorry.

Tom

6. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    As far as modern movement quality, it's a moot question. The quality level of Kieninger's small movements went south many years ago. Hermle has improved but only a small step up here and there from the pre 1988 movements.

What others said ... look around for a nice pre WW-II two train clock in good condition. You will be better off and probably for much less $$$.

Willie X

7. Willfeel

Willfeel Registered User

Aug 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Okay. Two questions. Is there a quality brand, in a new clock, other than keinineger or hermle? As for the old clock, mantel clock, any trusted website that you can suggest? Thanks again.

8. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No clock currently being mass produced would really be considered "high quality" in the eyes of many horologists. Some ideal older makes include Kienzle, Junghans, HAC, Elliott, and Vedette which all turn up regularly in Europe on auction sites such as eBay. As with any consumer service: "buyer beware".
    You may get lucky and find something at a local antiques store but unless the clock has been recently serviced it cannot be guaranteed to operate in top form. That said it is better to have a good quality old clock serviced and restored instead of buying new.

Modern Kieninger is a total embarrassment compared to the old days where quality and quantity were kept in balance. There are several reasons for the decline in quality ranging from resource constraints to declining market demand, but it doesn't distract from the conclusion that the older clocks were objectively better than what's being made now.

Conversely Hermle movements were always on the cheaper side of things and was one factor to their continued existence as a company, but even their older pre-1960 movements were somewhat better in regards to design and material quality. Really took a dump when they introduced plated pivots during the 1970s and any improvements since that time can be best described as "minimal", no ifs ands or buts about it.

9. Willfeel

Willfeel Registered User

Aug 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I've been looking at some possibilities in e-bay. I have seen that there are several types of escapement, floating balance, with or without a pendulum and even with swiss escape. Which would be the most recommended? Thank you.

10. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Stay clear of any balance wheel clocks. Pendulums good, balances can often be very bad.

Why, you say? Because any clock with a bad balance will often not be repairable. And ... a goodly percentage of these type clocks for sale will have a bad balance.

When I say "not be repaitable", I am talking about practically, high cost and lack of availableity issues. IOWs, paying $120 for a nice looking old clock and $450 to get its balance escapement repaired ...

WIllie X

11. Willfeel

Willfeel Registered User

Aug 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    If I understood correctly, ... Is it best to have a pendulum? Thank you