Making the movement plates shine after c

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
I've been thinking about trying one of the fancy/expensive cleaning solutions that Timesavers and them sell. It seems that while Zep Fast 505 does a great cleaning/degreasing job in the ultrasonic device, I wonder if these other solutions might really shine up the plates. It's really only for appearances' sake; it's unlikely that customers care a great deal.

Any suggestions?

Mark Kinsler

Simon Holt

NAWCC Member
Mar 21, 2017
Shaftesbury, UK
Country
Region
I buff brass parts using 0000 wire wool after de-greasing in the ultrasonic. I've tried ammoniated cleaning solutions and found they left a slightly frosted appearance to the brass, which still needed buffing with wire wool to make it shine.

Simon

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I agree - none of the solutions I have used really make the plates shine, I don't think they are really meant to.

Once the plates are clean, 0000 wire wool, and elbow grease give the soft brass shine that you are looking for. But, as you say, the owners likely don't care.

JTD

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
I think the finish does matter where a movement is seen e.g Four-Glass and Carriage Clocks. What about French Chalk and a brush (this is used on dull gilded watch plates).

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I think the finish does matter where a movement is seen e.g Four-Glass and Carriage Clocks. What about French Chalk and a brush (this is used on dull gilded watch plates).
Yes, of course, if the plates are visible you do need to make them as good as possible. For myself, I like to shine the plates even when they are not visible, I just meant that many owners wouldn't know or care.

Yes, French chalk and a brush if you're dealing with delicate gilding.

JTD

Chris.K

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2021
Country
Region
I use distilled water with a scoop of Oxy-clean in my U/S cleaner then rinse and dry then a soft bristle brass brush and non-chlorinated brake cleaner and elbow grease. Note- this is for brass gears and plates.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I use distilled water with a scoop of Oxy-clean in my U/S cleaner then rinse and dry then a soft bristle brass brush and non-chlorinated brake cleaner and elbow grease. Note- this is for brass gears and plates.
What is Oxy-clean? Maybe only available in USA?

JTD

Chris.K

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2021
Country
Region
What is Oxy-clean? Maybe only available in USA?

JTD
It is a oxygenated powder great for cleaning dirt and oils while also being non-reactive to brass. When heated in the U/S cleaner it clings to dirt and oils and creates a small air bubble and floats the grime away from the plates or gears. Plus its cheap and can be poured down the drain afterwards. I don't know if it's only available in the USA or not.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It is a oxygenated powder great for cleaning dirt and oils while also being non-reactive to brass. When heated in the U/S cleaner it clings to dirt and oils and creates a small air bubble and floats the grime away from the plates or gears. Plus its cheap and can be poured down the drain afterwards. I don't know if it's only available in the USA or not.
Sounds like the oxygenated product used in washing clothes - an oxygenated powder which does what you describe. In Europe there are a number of these washing aid powders, all the word Oxy--- in the name (except one which is called Vanish).

Never thought of using it in an U/S tank before - do you put anything in with it (besides water)?

JTD

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Sounds like the oxygenated product used in washing clothes - an oxygenated powder which does what you describe. In Europe there are a number of these washing aid powders, all the word Oxy--- in the name (except one which is called Vanish).

Never thought of using it in an U/S tank before - do you put anything in with it (besides water)?

JTD

I can imagine the enzymatic action would work well on old grease

Chris.K

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2021
Country
Region

JTD
I use just distilled water in the U/S and for rinse then a hair dryer on low to dry everything. The Oxy powder is not a cure all but it does do a good job loosening grime up and makes brush cleaning easier. Once again this is only for brass movements.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I use just distilled water in the U/S and for rinse then a hair dryer on low to dry everything. The Oxy powder is not a cure all but it does do a good job loosening grime up and makes brush cleaning easier. Once again this is only for brass movements.
Thanks - I will try it next time I empty the tank. Good to learn something new.

JTD

Reactions: Chris.K

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Question on the 0000 wire wool. Would that be brass or steel wire wool, or does it make a difference?

Swanicyouth

Nov 10, 2019
Country
I’ve tried many things & for whatever reason it seems all solutions do not work equally well on different brass. What I’ve found that does work pretty well, with minimum expense or effort, is scrubbing the plates with a toothbrush using Brasso with a little bit of water. Cleans & brightens at the same time

Simon Holt

NAWCC Member
Mar 21, 2017
Shaftesbury, UK
Country
Region
For things like brass bezels that have gone black over the decades, buffing with 0000 steel wool dipped in liquid Braso is very effective. Then use Renaissance wax to keep it looking good for years.

Simon

Reactions: Dave T

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I used a homemade formula for years but tried Deox 007 just to see what happened. I am sold! It works better, by far, than I expected. Cleans and shines. Costly but does not get contaminated nearly as easily as my old formula.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The cleaning wax would probably be good for keeping the plates from tarnishing so quickly again. Just be sure you get all of it out of the pivot holes.

Reactions: Jess19721

TRANSPORTER

Jul 22, 2022
Southwest England
Country
Region
I'm more than hapy with usin L&R clock cleaning solution ( amoniated ) and for rinse I use L&R #3 rinse.
the cleaing solution is mixed 7 parts water to 1 part solution and lasts ages. And yes it does bring up brass nice and shiney 99% of the time.
It wil strip off the laquer on plates if you leave them in the US tank for 10 minutes or so.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I use Deox 007, clock parts come out shiny. I am not concerned about shiny, except in a clock where the movement is seen.

Jeff Salmon

Apr 11, 2002
I use Deox 007, clock parts come out shiny. I am not concerned about shiny, except in a clock where the movement is seen.
To me, shiny means polished. Cleaned and brightened, means cleaned and the tarnish or oxidation is gone. If you want the parts polished, you have to polish them with simichrome or other metal polish. This is very labor intensive and time consuming. It is not cost effective for most clocks, IMHO. A lot of clocks don't have polished parts. French clocks usually do, some German clocks do, like Winterhalder, Lenzkirsh, some Junghans, etc. I always polish the back plate where the metal has originally been polished. That way, I can show the customer that someone has actually been in there. I have seen a lot of pretty French clocks with relatively clean movements, but no care for what the client may see and be impressed with.
If the clock is a crystal regulator, I will polish the plates and the barrels so the clock movement looks attractive. It does not take too long (far less than doing all the gears) and it makes a great presentation. The customer remembers the excitement of seeing a movement like that.

Reactions: Jess19721
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stems
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update