Making missing decorative moulding?

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
I'm revisiting some of the first T/S clocks I did when first becoming interested in clock repair about six months ago. A Gilbert tambour was one of the first ones I did, and my skills at that time were limited pretty much to understanding how to get something in beat and hoping for the best. Strangely enough, that actually worked for many of those clocks.... go figure. Anyway, this Gilbert stopped striking properly so I tore it down, did a full clean, pivot polish, spring service, bushed a couple worn holes, and adjusted the strike side properly yesterday... all good to go now. This is one of my favorite movements so far.. I love how the hammers and linkages are external... so easy to adjust...

8f79e124-b6b5-40df-b3a8-f7ee555ed559.jpg

Anyway, the question at hand. This case has always been missing one of the two decorative side moulding "wings."....

1e3798ce-8bb1-4dac-9840-274e43e1ca1d.jpg b2105131-63b8-40b2-8bae-b64f32f8db6a.jpg

I have a router (and a table), but my experience with it is limited primarily to using it for cutting holes, recesses, and rabbets for mounting speaker drivers in the audio speaker systems I design and build, and rounding off cabinets. I'm not much of a woodworker other than that. Are these mouldings standard router bit configurations? How are they made? I have plenty of scrap stock of various hardwoods plus the usual pine stuff lying around to experiment with.. would like to try and fabricate some of these missing pieces on a couple clocks. Can anyone offer some advice/pointers? If there is a specific bit that does this design, what is it called?

Thanks in advance!

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
I’m no help on the router bit, but since you have one that is intact, you could take that to a cabinet maker who has a laser router. He could use that one for a pattern and knock it out in nothing flat.

Reactions: svenedin

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
I’m no help on the router bit, but since you have one that is intact, you could take that to a cabinet maker who has a laser router. He could use that one for a pattern and knock it out in nothing flat.
Great idea. I have complicated moulded skirting boards in the house and had new boards made up to match from an existing piece. Bigger scale but same idea.

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
I guess I am old school. I never heard of a laser router.
The technology has been around for several years, but they start at around $80,000; not something designed for the weekend hobbyists. Most high-end cabinet shops have them, as you can make really elaborate pattern cuts that come out perfect every time, in nothing flat. You really have to turn out some volume to make it worth the investment though

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'll pick up one of those right after I get a proper mill :D

• Love
Reactions: MuseChaser

ChimeTime

May 4, 2021
Country
Another option, although somewhat of a "cop-out", is to go to a picture frame shop that has a big selection of molding-like picture frame material and buy 20". Then use that to replace both sides. It will match perfectly, be easy and inexpensive.

And let's face it, at this late date no one is likely to walk into your home and say, "I got one just like it, but my molding is slightly different !" :)

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Another option, although somewhat of a "cop-out", is to go to a picture frame shop that has a big selection of molding-like picture frame material and buy 20". Then use that to replace both sides. It will match perfectly, be easy and inexpensive.

And let's face it, at this late date no one is likely to walk into your home and say, "I got one just like it, but my molding is slightly different !" :)
Hehehehe.. I'm not sure who to fear more... the moulding inspectors or the solder police ... ;)

Rob Martinez

NAWCC Member
May 3, 2013
Country
its taking a different route but the NAWCC library has some good information on making a mold from the existing one and making a duplicate. Youtube has some videos on the same process but not using clock molding. You will get an exact duplicate that way...

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
its taking a different route but the NAWCC library has some good information on making a mold from the existing one and making a duplicate. Youtube has some videos on the same process but not using clock molding. You will get an exact duplicate that way...
I haven’t researched this, but wouldn’t that involve casting a piece from synthetic resin? I’m not saying it would stick out like a bourbon bottle at a tent revival, but it would probably be noticeable...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
che63
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre