Making longcase hands from laser cut blanks

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by novicetimekeeper, Mar 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was asked by Bruce what work was involved in hand finishing laser cut blanks. I am neither the craftsman nor the photographer, but the pictures were especially produced at my request to document the process so that I could share them. I'm not even the customer!

The blanks were produced from photographs I took of a set of hands on another longcase of a similar age. This clock came with 19th century hands, over 100 years out of style. I know a company that sells blanks but we could not find a set to suit so these were custom made.

There are a lot of pics and a few notes at the end. The second hand was made from scratch, the hour and minute are the laser cut blanks.

hands 10.jpeg hands 9.jpeg hands 8.jpeg hands 7.jpeg hands 5.jpeg hands 6.jpeg hands 4.jpeg hands 3.jpeg hands 2.jpeg hands 1.jpeg

2. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    unfortunately in each post the pics are in reverse order!

hands 21.jpeg hands 20.jpeg hands 19.jpeg hands 17.jpeg hands 16.jpeg hands 15.jpeg hands 14.jpeg hands 13.jpeg hands 12.jpeg hands 11.jpeg

3. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These notes were provided by Peter who did the work. He restores virtually all of my clocks.

"I prefer to preheat the brass filings before adding the hand and continuing to GENTLY heat to very slowly bring to temp.. This is esp important with hands that vary a lot in their mass in different areas. Patience is vital! I also blue lacquer when finished which prevents rust ( and enhances the colour).
    Overall, including making a secs hand from scratch about 10 hours! ------ most in fettling and decorating the hour hand which is most complicated and has to be symmetrical too.. Some of the decorative nicks are inaccessible to files, and I use a graver to finish those awkward ones"

hands 27.jpeg hands 26.jpeg hands 25.jpeg hands 24.jpeg hands 23.jpeg hands 22.jpeg

4. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice work and documentation!

Uhralt

6. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i have insufficient superlatives. really nice job.

7. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  8. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Nick,

I like the way Peter holds the minute hand steady with panel pins in the wooden lathe for reducing the thickness by filing. He's done a super job with these hands. I also notice that he uses a Proxxon mini drill press; I must ask him about that when I see him on Wednesday.

Regards,

Graham

9. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We often talk about Scott's work on the cases, I thought Peter needed a thread. He has done a terrific job on the dial too.

10. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes very fine work and nicely documented. I was wondering if there were any pics of the second hand and the work on it? thanks for sharing, Joe

11. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The second hand was cut from sheet by hand and riveted to the pipe. I don't have any pics of that I'm afraid.

12. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is amazing to see the hands come to life as they are changed from flat cut out pieces to finely detailed (fettled) but still looking balanced and then blued. The time spent to get there is clear.
    David