Makers of movements

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Jerry Freedman, Feb 15, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2000
    I was given an Oris watch as a gift. The literature with the watch clearly indicates that Oris does not make movements. In magazines like Chronos etc., all the fancy advertising would lead a reader to expect that if you buy a Heuer watch, they made the movement. Who is making the movements for all of the high end Swiss watches?

2. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2000
    I was given an Oris watch as a gift. The literature with the watch clearly indicates that Oris does not make movements. In magazines like Chronos etc., all the fancy advertising would lead a reader to expect that if you buy a Heuer watch, they made the movement. Who is making the movements for all of the high end Swiss watches?

3. Dave Haynes

Dave Haynes Registered User

Sep 12, 2000
    Jerry: There used to be 15 or so "Ebauche"
    makers, now there are far fewer. The maker of most of these modern movements is ETA.
    A.S. is also a big manufacturer. The quartz movement put most out of business.

4. Jerry,
    Yes, Dave is right. Eta, which is now part of the giant Swatch Group probably supples the most. In fact your Oris is based on one of Eta's better ebauches. Oris adds additional work when they get them on the bench and fine tune them. Some say Oris is one of the best quality watches available for the money spent. There are very few manufacturers left today. And I believe to qualify as one, you need only build and market 1 complete model. My guess is that there are 10-12 left that make there own movements. But this may not be too bad, even Rolls-Royce doesn't make all the parts.
    I think this would be an interesting question for the forum so I will post it.
    Best Regards,
    Marty

5. Jerry, I just re-read your post. You did ask about high-end Swiss watches. On the high-end it would probably be Frederic Piguet and Lemania. Of course Zenith makes the famous El Primero.
    Marty