Maker of English? Movement

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Jerry Freedman, Jun 28, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2000
    This watch is in a case hallmarked for London 1892. I have identified the case maker as John Woodman. The watch is stem wind and button set. It has right angle lever and the English style pointed tooth escape wheel. I am wondering if it was imported into England for casing and sale. I do not believe the name shown on the watch is the maker.

Attached Files:

2. Jerry Matthews

Jerry Matthews Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Retired
    Sussex, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jerry,

Loomes (2006 edition) lists Thomas Samuel Cogdon & Son of London with the date 1881. But this watch could be a Swiss import. By 1892 many English makers were importing movements for casing and sale.

Having said that, however, I do have a very similar looking watch by JW Benson, also stem wind and pin set, in an 1889 case. The watch has the original documentation with it which states "Guaranteed English Make J W Benson Ludgate Hill London".

Jerry

3. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Jerry:

I own a marine chronometer by Thomas S Cogdon & Son which Jonathon Betts dates to 1865. Thomas would have died by 1892, so I assume the son was still in business at the same address. I do not know if the son was a watch maker as well as a chronometer maker.

I bought the watch from an E-bay seller in Cordoba, Argentina. I only bought it because I owned the marine chronometer with the same name and adress.

Mercer does not say a lot about Cogdon, but he does spell his name wrong.

Thanks Jerry;

Jerry F.

4. Frank Menez

Frank Menez Registered User
    Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Horological Journal Obituaries Vol 28 Dec 1885

Mr Thomas Cogden Chronometer Maker