Maker C E Salmon Londo.

fido

Jan 17, 2016
Country
Hi Members
I have see recently a very good Quality large bracket clock signed on back plate (very large signature).

I would like to know if any one has any info on him,

One reference I have seen in Brittens is 151 Bishopsgate ,1823.

Does this sound like the same maker? no other info.

Regards Guido.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Can you post pictures of the clock and at least the back plate of the movement?

fido

Jan 17, 2016
Country
Hi Steve
These images are the best I can do ,form my mobile phone taken at Auction room.

I would be interested if members feel this is a 1900 clock or earlier my feeling it is early 1800,I may be wrong,I have had a suggestion it is a copy of earlier one ,that is why it will be interesting when this maker worked.
Is the name hand engraved or machine engraved?
Regards Fido. clock 6.JPG clock 1.JPG clock 2.JPG clock 2.JPG clock 3.JPG clock 4.JPG

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I don't think it is first half of the 19th century but 2nd half. I have an earlier dial clock by William Salmon in Spitalfields probably a relation.

fido

Jan 17, 2016
Country
I don't think it is first half of the 19th century but 2nd half. I have an earlier dial clock by William Salmon in Spitalfields probably a relation.
Hi Nick thanks for your comments you may be correct re timeline,looks like not much is known about him,at this stage,

The auction have a super low estimate ,will be interesting what it sells for,I would buy it ,But I already have a lovely French Boulle clock ,by J B Delettrez,that I have posted here before.

It is one of the nicest clocks I have seen for a while. Will let you all know what it sells for.

Regards Guido

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I can find Charles Salmon 1821, and Salmon 1851, both just listed as London. They could be the same person.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region

fido

Jan 17, 2016
Country
Hello Many thanks for the great info.
Looks likely it was one of the makers you have mentioned (which one?)
May be if it was 1821 he would have signed Bishopsgate and not London (although because it was basically london, may it still may be him)
Charles 1821-C E Salmon 1823 are probably the same person. Salmon 1851 ,may again be the same person.

It looks to me that it may have been made between 1821 -1851,it may be closer to 1850 than 1821?

In my opinion they are all the same maker. (I may be wrong)

brit 1.JPG brit3.JPG brit3.JPG

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Must say I’m surprised that the moderator is allowing this conversation to go on while the auction is live

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
It went for not a lot, considering it was a double fusee bracket clock with what would appear to be an English made movement.

fido

Jan 17, 2016
Country
Hi Zedric
I agree with the moderators. I did not disclose in which auction it was in ,As I said in my post I would not be bidding on it,

My main reason for the post was to discuss the maker, As I said I felt I was a spectacular clock (not sure on interior working condition )

I also said the estimate was a silly low estimate, It ended up selling for 3 times top estimate.

If I have accidentally alerted someone to buying this lovely clock I am fine with that.

It was not my intention. I feel it is always better to research things before buying if possible .

Sorry if I my have made you pay more than you wanted Zedric (if you bought it). Still a bargain in my opinion.

Fido.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Hi Fido

No problem by me if the moderators want to interpret the rules as such - the auction is pretty easy to track down by the name of the clockmaker, and you had mentioned it was coming up for auction, but as you say, you didn't directly name the auction house. I didn't buy it (I have another on the way and no spare cash) but if I had I would have saved on shipping - Joel's is a stone's throw away from where I live...

fido

Jan 17, 2016
Country
That's Great Zedric

I did not want to upset anyone with my post,It was just a pity I did not have the room for it,I mentioned it to a clock dealer friend ,not sure if he bought it,I was about right when I mentioned to the lady at the auction it has a silly estimate.
Like you I am with in walking distance of Joel's ,can be expensive living so close.
I also already have one major clock and about 4 minor ones.

Fido.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller