• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Make your own finials

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
So many of my torsion clocks are missing their crowns and finials I decided to see if I could make some of these myself. This is just a test until I can get some proper sized stock. I also need to make some different profiled tools but this is the idea.

test1.jpg

What do you think?

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dave T

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Making more scrap but getting closer.

test2.jpg

I should probably measure my sample and draw a picture for next time.

Eric

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
Looking good, Eric.
What's your process?
The only time I've attempted this kind of thing was for pendulum bobs on "baseball" clocks.
As I had several that didn't have their pendulum, I decided to get some 3/8 aluminum round stock and grind a fully profiled turning tool. It took a while to get it to represent the original faithfully, but, in the end, it became a quick process to produce them in bulk.
Drill the center hole about an inch deep, Face the end from he last cut and then position and hog down on the tool till it completed the profile and (hopefully) parted the finished part.

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
I'm making a set of narrow form tools ground from HSS tool blanks. My little Sherline doesn't seem to like the load of a single tool without a lot of howling. Also I thought I could reuse them for different shaped finials. So far I have one for the hemisphere section, one for the tip, and a small radius for the necked areas. I still need to make another for the base. The worst part for me right now is I only have one tool holder.

The sample is from and early Hauck clock.

Eric

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Nice job, Eric! Thanks for the pictures! It's close enough that no one would notice the difference when mounted except you :)

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
So, I take it you mount the original off to the side and then use your various cutters to shape the blank, all the while looking back and forth at the original.

What shutterbug said...very nice!

Kurt

daveR

NAWCC Member
Sep 10, 2008
melbourne, Australia
Country
Region
Nice job Eric, you may have re-inspredme to try.I have a Hauck wirh only its central finial, the other two are gone with the pieces of one still in one hole.
One question, are the finials pushed in or threaded or both ? I have never been game enough to find out for fear of breaking them, especially if threaded !
David

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Nice job Eric, you may have re-inspredme to try.I have a Hauck wirh only its central finial, the other two are gone with the pieces of one still in one hole.
One question, are the finials pushed in or threaded or both ? I have never been game enough to find out for fear of breaking them, especially if threaded !
David
Well I have to justify all I'm spending on machine tools so I'm making stuff.

The Hauck clock the sample finial is from is number 2437. These are right hand threaded.

I have a later Hauck clock number 17377 that I had to fix a broken off finial. It's finials are left hand threaded!

I haven't encountered any pre-war clocks that had pressed in finials.

Eric

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
So, I take it you mount the original off to the side and then use your various cutters to shape the blank, all the while looking back and forth at the original.

What shutterbug said...very nice!

Kurt
I put the original there just for the pictures after I made the cuts. I did all the checking and measuring when I changed tools.

Eric

daveR

NAWCC Member
Sep 10, 2008
melbourne, Australia
Country
Region
Well I have to justify all I'm spending on machine tools so I'm making stuff.
Funny though how,once you have found a use for, and used the tool you felt you "had to justify" you end up finding lots of other uses for it !
Thanks for that interesting info on the left and right hand threads. Of that I certainly had no idea.
David

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Lots of work to be sure! Looks great though!

Reactions: etmb61

Peter W

NAWCC Fellow
Nov 23, 2017
Country
8AA0E2E2-E679-480F-8688-9EBD380353A6.jpeg
Very nice work. I made the crown and had finials turned for this Philip Hauke miniature. Mun Chor-Weng kindly photographed his identical model straight on from which I could make a hairline outline drawing. Printed drawing and stuck the paper on brass then filed and dremelled to shape. I found the circular tube paper sander the most useful tool. Your finials are really good, Eric, better than mine. Well done !

Reactions: etmb61

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Thanks for the comments! Well I finally made one I'm happy with (meaning I didn't screw up too badly). I keep intending to read the hand wheels and figure out the settings, but then I just plunge the tools in until it looks right.

test4.jpg

I think it looks good with the originals. Not quite exact but close enough for me.
test4c.jpg

Eric

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Here is a set I'm making for a Becker clock.
repro2.jpg
Original on top.

finial1.jpg
Original on right. I started on the mounting end (bottom) with this one and it went a lot easier. Didn't quite get the top right. The source clock doesn't have any two finials that match so it would fit right in.

Eric

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Here is a set I'm making for a Becker clock.
View attachment 575825
Original on top.

View attachment 575826
Original on right. I started on the mounting end (bottom) with this one and it went a lot easier. Didn't quite get the top right. The source clock doesn't have any two finials that match so it would fit right in.

Eric
Here is the near finished part in front of the original:
repro3.jpg

Still needs polishing up and the mounting hole(s).

Eric

Reactions: Wayne A

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
I finally finished that Becker pediment, shown here with the original,
new_repro.jpg
and on the clock.
new_repro_2.jpg

Still need to polish it up before I send it off.

Eric

Reactions: Dave T

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Nice work, Eric! I recently purchased some Becker-looking finials from The Horolovar Store. They are cast items so there's a bit of a nub on one side that I needed to grind off. I bought the set of three (~$20) as one of my Beckers doesn't have the two finials that push into the holes on top of the movement support columns. Probably the best I was going to do...doubt I could ever do something like you've done.

Kurt

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Thanks Kurt. Actually the finals themselves are the easy part because they're done on the lathe. Once you figure out the method you can knock them out. The crown however is mostly hand work.

I looked at those cast finials but they are all only one style from one clock brand. I don't consider them a suitable replacement. If I need to replace something I like stuff that's at least made in a similar way to the originals. All the years I spent fixing aircraft has made me a little obsessive.

Eric

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
To me, a missing finial is like a missing front tooth. Replicating those parts was a lot of work for you I am sure, but certainly worth the effort to see a beautiful clock with all it parts.

FDelGreco

Moore NWCM Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
You've inspired me to make a replacement finial for my ca. 1690 English lantern clock. At some point in its history, the finial was sawed off, probably to get extra height (longer running time) in a low ceiling house. I'll have to drill the top and make a replacement. The only problem might be that 17th century brass is a slightly different color than more modern brass.

Frank

CIMG5845.JPG

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
You've inspired me to make a replacement finial for my ca. 1690 English lantern clock. At some point in its history, the finial was sawed off, probably to get extra height (longer running time) in a low ceiling house. I'll have to drill the top and make a replacement. The only problem might be that 17th century brass is a slightly different color than more modern brass.

Frank

View attachment 589070
Hi Frank,

I would think the finial would have been a casting as well, as opposed to the mill stock I've been using. It could be a fun challenge.

Eric

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
To me, a missing finial is like a missing front tooth. Replicating those parts was a lot of work for you I am sure, but certainly worth the effort to see a beautiful clock with all it parts.
I agree. I've passed on buying some of clocks because they were missing the decorative parts. Now I wish I had them.

Eric

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Here is some more of my process for your inspiration...

from bar stock.jpg
Blanks were cut from C360 bar stock by hand, CA glued together, milled to their rough size and shape, and then separated with a torch. The finished crown was all hand work with a jeweler's saw, files, sand paper, and some polishing. I managed to cut this one out without breaking a saw blade so I must be improving.

Here it is with an original:
with original.jpg

Eric

Reactions: pahel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmeywvu
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit