American Majestic Electric Clock; how to update/protect for safety?

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Hudson, Oct 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am in the process of refurbishing an old spin start Majestic Electric clock. I have completed the mechanical part (the gear train) and am ready to finish the assembly. The movement required a good cleaning and one bushing.

After reading posts on this board about fires caused by old synchronous spin start electric clocks, I thought I might pause and pose a question to those who are more electronically gifted than I.

I will replace the power cord but otherwise the motor coil looks fine and was working before.

What might I to do to this old clock to keep it from being a fire hazard?
    Should I wire it with a three wire (grounded) plug instead of the two wire?
    Should I install a fuse? And if yes, then what type and size?
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks

2. flynwill

flynwill Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Rolling Hills Estates, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If the coil is in good condition then the danger is pretty low. If the clock has a metal outer case then I might consider a 3-wire plug instead of 2-wire as that will provide shock protection, but not much protection from a potiential fire.

As for a fuse, a thermal cutoff is series with and physically coupled to the coil is probably the best protection. (If you have ever opened up a modern coffee maker or similar heating appliance you will likely have seen one of these). Might take a bit of research (or trial and error) to determine the appropriate temperature however.