MAJAK (USSR mfg) desk clock

Rod McLeod

Mar 3, 2019
Country
How do I separate the bezel from the dial so I can dismantle the movement for cleaning. It appears that the bezel and dial are attached together with 3 rivets.

IMG_3165.JPG IMG_3166.JPG

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Not likely riveted. Maybe the bezel is threaded. Try unscrewing it using CCW turn.

Rod McLeod

Mar 3, 2019
Country
The back can be removed - no problem. The bezel is attached on the front of the clock with 3 small rivets. The bezel and crystal have to be removed so the hands can be removed. Then the dial can come off.
I tried turning the bezel cw and ccw but it does not separate.
I noticed on a previous forum where there were queries about the spring for these clocks that the clockmaker had the movement apart. Perhaps one of those folks could help me.

Alex K

Jun 20, 2020
Country
As I catched from some russian videos you should just gently pull the bezel off (still no video with removing itself - sorry). Normally you should not bent those 3 rivets before you remove the bezel. Using some plastic sharp things as levers applying them in the points where those 3 rivets are and around pull bezel out - gently, carefully!!!. It is not glued, just firmly fixed on the plastic(?) round. Somehow like that. Hope this will help.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Alex might have it. That's the only other way that I can see.

Rod McLeod

Mar 3, 2019
Country
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my query. However, I have tried to press the bezel off where the 3 rivets are and am afraid of damaging/warping the bezel. Where do I find the Russian video you referenced?

Rod McLeod

Mar 3, 2019
Country
As I catched from some russian videos you should just gently pull the bezel off (still no video with removing itself - sorry). Normally you should not bent those 3 rivets before you remove the bezel. Using some plastic sharp things as levers applying them in the points where those 3 rivets are and around pull bezel out - gently, carefully!!!. It is not glued, just firmly fixed on the plastic(?) round. Somehow like that. Hope this will help.

Rod McLeod

Mar 3, 2019
Country
Thanks, Alex. Now, if I can find someone who can understand Russian I might be able to figure out how to separate the bezel.
Rod.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I have one of these clocks, someplace. I have had the movement out. Trying to remember . I believe i removed movement from the back.

Alex K

Jun 20, 2020
Country
Rod, I understand Russian quite well)) and I can translate for you but there not much more then that I have already tryed to mention in my previous message. Still if you would like we can discuss it by voice and I will translate each word.
I still not fully sure if that guy on video I shared to you give the best advice, but I did not find anything better in "Russian internet" yet.

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Perhaps a large suction cup applied to the glass will allow you to pull it harder without (or at least less) risk of damage. A hobby store may have something that would work--you'd want the largest one that will fit inside the bezel ring. I've run into similar problems with motorcycle speedometers.

Mark Kinsler

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It appears there are two threads here dealing with very similar clocks. I'd suggest you read that other thread too. It might solve your issue. CLICK HERE for the other thread.

Rod McLeod

Mar 3, 2019
Country
Rod, I understand Russian quite well)) and I can translate for you but there not much more then that I have already tryed to mention in my previous message. Still if you would like we can discuss it by voice and I will translate each word.
I still not fully sure if that guy on video I shared to you give the best advice, but I did not find anything better in "Russian internet" yet.
Thanks Alex. I have not attempted any further disassembly as I have become busy with other clocks. I am hoping to hear from someone who has mastered a disassembly of this clock. Rod.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
No Rod, i have not gone back to it. Have a few things on the go.

kdf

Aug 26, 2011
Beograd
Country
The bezel is simply pressed. From the back pry it with small screwdriver - very simple...

Last edited:

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
i just looked at mine and no its not like this one.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I am glad for you Rod. Mine did not come off.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Glad it was easy for you, i doubt i have the same clock. As i dont see a easy way to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Remco
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre