Mainspring -Servicing Full-Length •

Discussion in 'Hints & How-to's' started by bangster, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bangster

bangster Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 bangster, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    [copied from a Useful Hints thread.]

I've seen various procedures described for getting at the full length of a mainspring, for cleaning, inspecting, and lubing. Some of them call for stretching it out full length. The method I use is the simplest and easiest I know of. It involves little stretching, and no special setup. I didn't invent it, and don't recall where I learned it...probably from somebody on this MB. I imagine a lot of people use it.

mainspring 1.jpg mainspring 2.jpg ms clean - end.jpg
    With the spring unwound, I hook it over the handle of my Joe Collins winder (free plug for JOE, who makes the best 'uns around)...between the coils, not through the center. A screwdriver clamped in a bench vise will do as well. From there, simply walk up it a few inches at a time, letting it coil back up below, until I get to the center, then releasing it a few inches at a time so's it can coil back up normally. I don't try to mess with those last few tight coils in the center, which don't do anything anyway. But I do check for cracks or tears in the arbor-hook hole or nearby.

Pulling it through, I scrub it down full length with steel wool dipped in mineral spirits, removing rust and crud and inspecting for cracks and problem areas. I wipe it down full length with a rag as I let it coil back up. Then I take a rag charged with mainspring lube, and lube it all the way up, and back again. All done.

Barring problems, it takes under five minutes to service a mainspring...and you never have to walk away from your spring winder.

bangster

Since writing this, I've switched from ms lube on a rag to Slick-50 1-Lube, applied with fingers. No other changes.
    3/30/14

2. bangster

bangster Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag: