Main spring let down

Dave P

Feb 9, 2007
White Salmon, WA
Country
Region
I'm working on an Ansonia 8 day mantel clock Time and strike. One spring was broken so I cut pieces off till I could manage it. The time side still had a spring so I wound it till I could get a main spring clamp over it and let it down to fill the clamp. I wanted to clean and check the spring out so I attached it to my webster spring winder. I could not get it to tighten the spring so I could take the ring off. Finally I was able to tighten it slightly but I turned the wheel with my gloved had as I turned the crank. I let it down no problems. When I went to rewind the spring I could only get it to wind about half way. It had the same feeling as if something was striped out it just turned with little to no resistence. I've never had anything like this happen before is it my winder? Do I have a bad arbor or what? Thanks for the help. DAVE

C

clockdaddy

Dave said:
When I went to rewind the spring I could only get it to wind about half way. It had the same feeling as if something was striped out it just turned with little to no resistence.
Dave,
I would let the tension completely down from the spring and check for a break in the spring. What you're saying, sounds like the spring will take a certain amount of winding and starts slipping because it has reached it's limit and over comes the friction in the spring itself.

That would be my first step. Next, I'd check and verify that the catch on the arbor is locking properly with the spring. I've been known (at least once in 15 years) to have the spring backward on the arbor and it would slip when winding.

And, of course, make sure the arbor isn't slipping in the Webster winder. I have 3 different winders and have had a fair amount of slippage with the Webster.

Let's git clockin'!!

Joseph Bautsch

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Country
Region
Dave - You indicated you had two problems. One was getting the spring out of the clamp and the other one is spring slippage. Clock Daddy and Kenny gave you good advice on the spring slippage. Getting the spring out of the clamp may be related to the slippage and it may not. The spring clamps come in four different sizes. Could that problem be that the clamp you used is too small? That would cause the spring to be wound up much to tight to be able to work it. Something to consider.

Dave P

Feb 9, 2007
White Salmon, WA
Country
Region
I was putting the entire arbor in the chuck, just backed it out a bit and it works great. So simple, thanks for the help. DAVE

C

clockdaddy

Ken said:
Dave,

Could you have the arbor in the chuck too far?
Ok guys, Let's mark a big one up For Kenny. Good call Bro!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCB4BASS
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-