• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

mahogany 4 glass Becker

lesbradley

NAWCC Member
Dec 20, 2007
Fairford, England
Visit site
Country
Region
I don't know what it is about torsion clocks, but similar clocks always seem to turn up in twos or threes.

Just bought a nice brass 4 glass with rectangular dial and along comes another in a mahogany case.

The condition of this clock is absolutely stunning, just like it came out of the shop 100 years ago. It must have been kept in the perfect environment for all its life. No tarnishing, no discolouration, just perfect. It has obviously been very sympathetically maintained, only screwdriver marks are on the suspension The eccentric for escapement, front plate and dial screws are unmarked, and the pendulum screws still have the perfect blued finish with no corrosion at all. What a find!!

For John's info the movement no. is 2056190, no number on the pendulum. I opened the pendulum base and was a little shocked to find small lead shot rolling all over the place. Obviously a solution to a too thick suspension.

Clock is still perfectly in beat without needing any change, just a trifle fast.

This clock is staying firmly in my collection.:)

Attachments

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Les, I think we can all be envious of you for this one! VERY nice example. Based on the serial number it was made 3rd quarter 1908, so your comment about it coming out of the shop 100 years ago was spot on. The stamped crest and lower decorative piece have been documented before but are not common.

One point of interest is the back plate. It has the exact layout as 1195A, but with a suspension guard added that would confirm the clock was made after 1905 but before the pallet inspection holes were introduced in 1909. The key to comparing it to 1195A is the click bridge and spring layout, plus the presence of a serial number. I looked at 1191 but that one has small holes at the top and bottom center of the plate that are not present on your clock. In any event this is a "new" layout so I've added it to my database as 1195A*.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Well Les, it's hard to make Mr. Hubby jealous, but you've done it! Congrats on a rare find!

lesbradley

NAWCC Member
Dec 20, 2007
Fairford, England
Visit site
Country
Region
Well Les, it's hard to make Mr. Hubby jealous, but you've done it! Congrats on a rare find!
Did not cost an arm and a leg either, and came out Bonhams, of one of the UK's top auction houses in Knightsbridge, London. I think I must have had the only bid and it went for reserve price.:D

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michael.winstock@btintern
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Aurora's 15 Ruby Jewel Movements by Greg Frauenhoff

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.