• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Magneta shelf clock origin?

Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member
Feb 14, 2011
NYS
Country
Region
I recently acquired a Magenta slave shelf clock. The only marking on the clock is the word Magneta on the dial. The works are very dirty, but I pulsed it with a 1.5 volt battery and it stepped the minute hand for each pulse.
It appears that there were several firms who used the "Magneta" label.
Does anyone know who would have been the manufacturer of this clock?

(As a side note, I did a search on "Magneta" and the response from the search was that there were 131 references spread over 6 pages. The system would only let me see the first 40 on 2 pages. Appears to be an interesting bug in the search function.)

Ray Rice, in subzero Rifton

Attachments

malloy1

Nov 6, 2013
Brighton, CO USA
That is a Martin-Fischer Magneta (Swiss) slave clock. Your right with the voltage (1.5V) and one pulse per minute. Nice Clock.

I have 5 (4 wall and 1 shelf) of them in various sizes. The last one is not mine, but one that was in the lobby of the Singer Building in NYC.

xyzzytom_200785 xyzzytom_200784 xyzzytom_200783 xyzzytom_251977 xyzzytom_200826

Last edited by a moderator:

malloy1

Nov 6, 2013
Brighton, CO USA
It's also an alternating pulse. So if you are using a 1.5v battery, you would need to switch the wires so it gets -/+ one pulse, than +/- the next.

malloy1

Nov 6, 2013
Brighton, CO USA
Not sure why the photo didn't upload. Same style dials as yours.

Did you ever get it running?