"Made In Germany Watch" "Rhodium" Band PT ? Pallidium ?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Jared Suydam, Jan 21, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?

Precious metal Band?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jared Suydam

Jared Suydam Registered User

Dec 5, 2019
    Hello all, HAPPY TO BE A NEW MEMBER!
    I purchased a watchmakers Estate and found this watch buckle band. Marked Made in Germany above Rhodium.
    I am very familiar with testing metals with Nitric, however, I have never seen any watch band or even a jewelry item marked Rhodium. I have seen Rhodium Plating, Upon testing the band, 14k & 18K Nitric dissolve the line, however the line holds strong with 22k Nitric. It is not stainless as it does not "Stain the stone" also is not magnetic. I believe it to be a ladies? measures 13.75mm widest point and 7 inches long(both pieces combined.) The watchmaker worked in watches from the late 30's up until mid-late 50's. Has anyone ever come across a similiar band or can maybe educate me on this matter?
    I thank you in advance! Jared
    ALSO HAVE ATTACHED PHOTOS

IMG_2609.jpeg IMG_2610.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

I think your watch band is rhodium plated. Rhodium was used commonly in all sorts of jewellery applications. It is non-allergenic, so good for things which will be in contact with the skin, hard-wearing and it also imparts an attractive appearance to the plated item.

I cannot say who made the strap. There seems to be a tiny trade mark after the word Rhodium, but it is not sharp enough to read.

JTD

3. Jared Suydam

Dec 5, 2019
    Thanks JTD, I will get a better shot of the trademark on the band momentarily. My initial thought was plating as well, I just have never seen anything marked like that, also its testing as PD, PT, OR Iridium but not marked anything else which throws me off. I have been testing jewelry for 12 Years now and have a few years of working in a refinery where I got to see tons of unusual items that I just didn't think existed, with that being said the only rhodium I seen outside of recovery from plated items was Bullion. I am going to send it to a very trustworthy friend to have it Xray analyzed. BTW WHEN I WORKED AT THE REFINERY RH WAS 700 AN OUNCE! WISH I WOULD OF BEEN ON THAT BOAT! Thanks again and will upload clearer pictures shortly.
    Jared

4. Jared Suydam

Dec 5, 2019
    Here are a few more pics looks to be possible a PS? Again, Thanks in advance for any info. Jared

IMG_2614 (1).jpg DSC00363.jpg DSC00364.jpg

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Thank you for the larger photos. The mark is FS and is the trade mark of Friedrich Stahl Schmuck- und Metallwaren KG., in Pforzheim-Birkenfeld.

The company is still in business making watch straps..

JTD

6. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    It would feel very heavy if it's platinum, and it's big enough that maybe you could use a scale/balance and graduated cylinder of water to measure its mass and volume, to calculate the density.

Just judging from the appearance of it, I suspect it's rhodium plated nickel or other base metal. I can't wait to hear what you find out! Either way it's a pretty bracelet and should be on a watch.

7. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I agree.

JTD

8. Jared Suydam

Dec 5, 2019
    Thank you all for your info, it is much appreciated, I would assume the same thing if the nitric reacted to the nickle alloy as it should but its not reacting as nickle, to me its almost reacting like PD Even though PD is a difficult metal to test with Nitric or Aqua. I have been trying to find some of their bands from the company however have not had much luck any ideas where to better my search?

9. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I don't think you are likely to find individual examples on line. This firm is a manufacturer, wholesaling to watch manufacturers. If you have any specific question(s), you could write to them. Their address is:

Friedrich Stahl GmbH & Co. Kg.,
    Goethestrasse 41,
    71257 Birkenfeld
    Germany.

JTD