Made In England: Grandmother Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Armando Alcaraz, Dec 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Armando Alcaraz

Armando Alcaraz Registered User

Sep 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello again, I recently came across this what I think is a Grandmother clock, stamped and labeled Made in England that has been sitting for over 42 years in a closet. I got it to run, ring and chime. It has 3 winder keyholes, a cylinder brass bob on a wooden dowel and no makers marks that I can find. One of the springs seem to be broken when I tried to check if it would wind. It spun in the barrel but will need to open it to be sure. I'm letting it run down to let off the over winding. It needs some TLC but would like some help in maybe finding out a maker and possible age range. I was told by the owner that it was a gift to her mother sometime in the 20's or 30's Thanks for all your help!!

20191202_165622.jpg 20191202_165629.jpg 20191202_165642.jpg 20191202_165650.jpg 20191202_165704.jpg 20191202_165712.jpg 20191202_165722.jpg 20191202_165728.jpg

Kevin W. likes this.
  2. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Nov 11, 2012
    Student
    France
    Country Flag:
    Hi,

It's an English clock, as you've already found out. It looks to be a Peerless product to me. Peerless is regarded as one of the better English manufacturers. They made some excellent quality movements. Your clock looks Art Deco, so the 1930's does seem like the appropriate date for it.

Regards.

3. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks more 1940s to me. I had a look through the reference book Clockmaking In England & Wales In The Twentieth Century but I couldn't find that movement.

Iirc Peerless is a German trademark used by Bauerle Uhrenfabrik.

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I agree about Peerless. The back plate stamping, "Made In England," seems to compare favorably with a stamping used by Enfield between 1932 to ca. 1944. I refer to page 200, table 5.3, of Clockmaking In England & Wales In The Twentieth Century. Not certain, however.

5. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not even close to Peerless, which was the common trademark of Mathias Bäuerle GmbH in St. Georgen, Germany. This is an Enfield Clock Company (London) clock, using a movement which was directly derived from a German BADUF pattern. Enfield was founded by Carl Schatz who was a shareholder in BADUF and made use of their proprietary movement patterns in many early Enfield clocks. Your clock was made no earlier than the early 1930's and is a fine example of its kind. I would suggest cleaning the gong rods with Slick Lube 50 or any equivalent to remove light corrosion.

A mantel clock 'sibling' can be seen in this thread:
    Art deco enfield winchester chime.

As referred to earlier, John Glanville's book 'Clockmaking in England and Wales in the Twentieth Century' wields further information pertaining to Enfield's origins and legacy, and is one of very few published books to document factory-made chime clocks from any company.

6. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Enfield's first Westminster chiming movement, the K1, is with very minor differences the same as the Baduf equivalent and was produced from 1932-40 but it has one set of hammers. If it is Enfield which I agree is very likely it is quite possible this movement was an adaption of the K1 or maybe Baduf also made a similar one this movement was based on. As I said it isn't in the book referred to above so there appears to be no source to confirm it.