M. I. Tobias? Watch Identification

Ahudson

Aug 20, 2011
My dad is 76, this was his father's watch. He believes the case is gold, but I am not sure why he thinks that. Anyways, I doubt this is a real Tobias because my grandfather was a share cropper and would never have dreamt of spending much money on a watch.

I am really just interested in the history of this watch and any information that can be provided. Restoring it might interest me, but it would be only as a part of family history.

What doesn't show well in the images is the No. 84435. I can provide better pics if helpful. One other thing, to me the dial paper almost appears glossy, that strikes me as a little odd, but what do I know?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to look at these images and share any information.

Regards.
Alex

Attachments

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
If you search this site you will see some VERY informative information by some of our British colleagues about this type of watch.

The Brit scholars took all of to school a few years back on these and changed the way we Yanks thinks about them.

I think you will find that our English watch brethren accept the fact that your watch had nothing to do with Tobias at all.

sorry.

Jeff Hess

Ahudson

Aug 20, 2011
Based on what I read here lastnight I could tell it was most likely fake. It would have been nice if it were the real deal, but I think the story of the watch will be just as valuable. Thanks for the info.

CZHACK

Apr 28, 2005
Country
Region
Alex - I collect Tobias watches (and have several in gold cases) and can confirm that yours is a Swiss copy (mid to late 1800s) of those produced by M.I.Tobias. That said, I wish I had a timepiece carried by my Grandfather which I do not. If it was mine, I would get it fixed and carry it over any in my collection. Enjoy. Mike

JohnnyWinter

Jul 7, 2009
I learned most about Tobias from Michael Ediden's publishings. Wasn't he a Yank? Are there are articles or books written by the English covering the history of the M.I. Tobias watch Co. ?

CZHACK

Apr 28, 2005
Country
Region
Agreed. He is a yank (from Baltimore I believe versus all of us this side of the pond) and is the "last word" on Tobias (M.I. and his uncle Morris) as set out in the two articles in the NAWCC publication. Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinestone
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller