• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

M. I. Tobias Liverpool

dbackfed

New User
May 16, 2014
Hello,
New person here. I was wondering if I could find some information on this style of pocket watch from M. I. Tobias Liverpool. I am curious to know when this watch would have been made, most specifically. watch 1.jpg watch 2.jpg watch 3.jpg
Thank you for your help.
Jason

DaveyG

Mar 21, 2005
North Wales, UK
Country
Hello and welcome to the European & Other PW Forum.

In order for us to have any real chance of giving you accurate information we will need to see clear, sharp images of the movement and of any punch marks inside the case (ignore any hand scratched marks). M I Tobias was a well known English maker who exported, in quantity, from the UK to the USA where he was held in high regard. As a consequence of his success there were a great many forgeries introduced into the USA, mostly made in Switzerland and mostly of inferior quality.

As to age, I suspect that the images engraved on the case covers provide a useful clue o:)

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
The dial is very strange, and surely must be a replacement? I've never seen one with that grey outer ring, and certainly it's very un-Tobias-like. The hands are obviously a mismatched pair. And I don't think I have ever seen a Tobias hunter .... are they very rare?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jlb22
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-