M F H Stone

the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
When cleaning the movement of a Howard #81 I recently acquired I found “M F H Stone 2-1896” very neatly inscribed inside the large time side drive gear. It would normally be hidden from view because of the maintaining power setup. I know that P. Emerson was the foreman of the movement test facility and have seen his name inscribed hidden in a movement. Does anyone know if MFH Stone was connected with Howard and did the same thing?

Thanks,
Jeff

the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
Out of curiosity I checked another tall case movement and found “set up 11 1886 L.P.Emerson” neatly engrave inside the large drive gear of the maintaining power set up. So now I’m wondering if it was common practice for the set up man to put his name and the date here once the movement was completed.
I have 2 others that I will check when I get the chance. I would like to hear from anyone else that has the opportunity to check one of these.
Does anyone know how to check the census of Boston for that time frame? I would like to find out a little more on M.F.H.Stone.
Thanks,
Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cicastol
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre