M & E Blakeslee info

Walt Wallgren

NAWCC Member
Aug 16, 2012
Bay Area, California
Country
Region
Hi,

I have/had the opportunity to buy an M & E Blakesly WW clock at what i consider a fairly reasonable price. I don't know a lot about wood works and I have never heard of Blakeslee until last week-end. It was nothing real fancy, just your basic Cornice and column clock. Weights, both glasses, dial, all looked to be original. There was no crank and the suspension spring was bent. Not major fixes. I think I have a suspension spring out in the shop that will work.

It looked like most of the pivots were mounted directly into the plate and a couple of them looked as if they need bushings based on the enlargement of the pivot holes. Never done that but I figure there are directions around somewhere. There were 2 or 3 in the front plate and I didn't get a chance to look at the back.

The big thing is, did Blakeslee make a good quality clock? I think I remember racing that they got sue of their movements from ST.

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Walt

secondarylead

Sep 3, 2009
Gettsyburg, Pennsylvania
Country
Walt,

Marvin and Edward Blakeslee made clocks around 1832-1834. They were contemporaries with the Terrys, Seth Thomas, and many of the early wood works clock makers. They obtained movements from both the Terrys and Seth Thomas. Most M&E clocks I have seen had Seth Thomas movements. I suspect they assembled their own cases but am not certain. In my opinion, I have found the construction of their cases, quality of the veneers they used, and reverse painted glasses to be above average. There is not alot written about them, perhaps because they were not clock makers per se, but used parts made by others and assembled themselves and used their own label. Check on this site for threads on repairing wood works clocks which should be helpful to you.

Walt Wallgren

NAWCC Member
Aug 16, 2012
Bay Area, California
Country
Region
Thanks for the info, Secondarylead,

I think I am at a point in my collecting where I am starting to like finding good quality clocks by lesser known makers. I recently acquired a early 20th century banjo by George Killam. It sounds like this Blakeslee clock just might fit into that category.

Thanks again,
Walt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeffbloz
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller