M. Bilsky's Pocket Watch

TCHOU

Feb 5, 2009
Montreal area
Country
Region
Besides the Railway Monarch Special pocket watch which is being discussed in the European sector of the forum, I have inherited another interesting specimen made by "M. Bilsky", of "Mattawa, Ontario", bearing serial number "306424". Others words on the mechanism plate are: "Straight Line Lever" and "Full Jewelled". The inside silver cover includes (top down) a crown, an anchor and the SN. Except for numbers 1 to 12, there is no name written on the dial. The watch comes with a key and the mechanism works very well.
With regard to authenticity, I know both watches belonged to the same owner who died in 1912; they were kept in a drawer for almost 100 years.
Further to a visit on Google/Wikipedia, it appears the maker would be Moses Bilsky (born in Lithuania) who became the first Jewish settler in Ottawa circa 1860. He would have lived in "Mattawa" from 1882 to 1885; I assume that reveals the production date and location of the watch.
Since I wish to learn as much as possible about it, I would be delighted if you could help with technical data and other horological considerations. No doubt you will.
(Regarding pictures, as they give me quite a hard time, an undesirable delay is likely to take place - sorry.)

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
TCHOU:

This sounds like another private label, or contract watch (probably European). As you suspected, pictures of the movement will be necessay for us to identify it.

Good luck with the pictures,

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello i have a Bilsky watch.It does not run a broken balance staff.
Bilsky had a jewellery store in Ottawa.
His ancestors i can,t remember their names, 2 women paid a visit to us at a chapter 111 meeting.
If interested i will get some pictures of the watch up.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Thanks Mr J Hanson for pointing out this should be moved, i had not noticed.

TCHOU

Feb 5, 2009
Montreal area
Country
Region
Kevin, I think posting pictures of your Bilsky watch would be very helpful for me to compare. I look forward to it.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I should get my M Bilsky pictures up today.:)

LloydB

Feb 24, 2006
La Crosse, Wisconsin's West Coast
Country
Region
Hello i have a Bilsky watch.It does not run a broken balance staff.
Bilsky had a jewellery store in Ottawa.
His ancestors i can,t remember their names, 2 women paid a visit to us at a chapter 111 meeting.
If interested i will get some pictures of the watch up.
If Bilsky died in 1912, those visitors
musta been reeeeeel wrinkly. :eek:

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Loyd, not they were not young, i think they were his grand daughters.
I tried to get my pictures of my m Bilsky watch up today.Ran into a problem and can,t get a file open to update my drivers for my camera. Will have to work at it.:confused::confused::confused:

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I have no idea Loyd, i don,t know much about Swiss watches and never took the watch apart to id it, you may be right, and perhaps it is what you say it may be.I would not be surprised.

TCHOU

Feb 5, 2009
Montreal area
Country
Region
Please find enclosed pictures of my Bilsky watch, for your appreciation.

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kapitzke
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-