Lyre pendulum query

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Hi Everyone,

I have just bought a dode longcase clock fitted with a Kieninger movement.

I have a question about the lyre pendulum that has been fitted - it is a very large pendulum with large diameter disc etc and has 8 spiral shaped long rods that travel down the full length of the pendulum. Most lyre pendulums i have had have ordinary plain rods and not the spiraled rods that this pendulum has.

My problem is that as the pendulum is swinging i can hear a metalic clonk - I have put white grease in the suspension tail etc thinking that was the root of the problem but it has made no improvement whatsoever (this normally works on all other pendulums with this problem!)

Can anyone comment on this please - is it normal with some lyre pendulums to make this metallic clonk as the pendulum swings to and fro?

Thank you as always for your time and help,

Regards,

Simon

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yeah, I think I'd pull the pendulum off and shake it a bit to see if there's anything loose. Try wagging it on a string or something. No sound? - must be from the movement.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Yeah, I believe you may be attributing the clonk to the pendulum because it's different than the others that don't clonk. I believe you'll find the clonk at the interesection of the crutch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosGraveyard
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller