Luxury or Lie

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by TruthSeeker, Oct 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker Registered User

Oct 15, 2016
    Country Flag:
    A member here holds a weekend long course giving info about the legitimacy of watches (Luxury or Lie). I'm intretested in taking the course, but after asking a question about the instructor's qualifications to hold a course like this, I was answered with semantics about how I structured my question and then the thread was closed before the instructor could answer. http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?130606-Luxury-or-Lie-Course-Breaks-Course-Registration-Now-Available-for-May-2016-Class
    I am very interested in taking the course next time it's offered as I find the subject interesting and I live in the area, however I feel asking for instructor qualifications is not out of the realm of reason before plunking down such a huge chunk of change (nonthe link to info about the course did not help). I'm really turned off by not getting an answer. Mr. Harris, can you maybe answer me? How do I know I am taking a course with a qualified instructor? I come across used watches on a daily basis in my business and a course like this, if legit, would help.

2. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't see any reason why you can't ask to for credentials: qualifications, degrees or certifications, courses taken, related experience, awards, etc. It's the right thing to ask for, and the right thing to provide.

Frank

3. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Indeed. Hard to imagine why the referenced thread was closed without a response. However I have heard good things about Adam's course.

David

4. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The message board is not at all connected with Adam's course. Requests for information should be directed to Katie Knaub, our education director, at kknaub@nawcc.org

5. TruthSeeker

Oct 15, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I've heard good things too, but I kinda want an answer from the instructor. If he won't answer my questions before the course, why would he after I take it? I know he worked at a photo company for years, but the watch course has nothing to do with it. Call me careful, but so far I'm a bit discouraged. Mr. Harris, can't you answer?

6. Markus Harris

Markus Harris NAWCC Communications Director
    Staff Member NAWCC Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Male
    Director of Communications, NAWCC Inc.
    Lancaster, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 Markus Harris, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    You should probably just email Adam directly at aharris@nawcc.org. I'm sure he'd be happy to correspond with you about the course.

7. harold bain

NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looking at the list of who has read this thread, Adam isn't listed. Please follow my instructions if you want any info on this course. If you are dealing with expensive watches, the price of the course is less than you might save on just one watch that is properly identified as a fake.

8. TruthSeeker

Oct 15, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I agree, it would be worth thousands taking a trustworthy and correct course that helps me identify fake vs. legit timepieces. The savings would add up quickly in my line of work. It's good to know Adam has not read this yet. I was wondering why he hasn't responded. If anyone is willing to contact him (maybe you Markus with the same last name...), please let him know about this thread and my questions. I hope I'm not being presumptuous, but the course is about fakes and the instructor and former curator of this association hasn't answered. A public answer would behoove us all, IMO.

BTW, Markus Harris, I LOVE Lancaster, PA! I have a lot of good memories of that town from when I was a young man. I hope the girls I knew there feel the same way.....

9. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    TruthSeeker, hundreds have taken his course including, I believe, the boys at the Gold and Silver Pawn Shop AKA Pawn Stars. There have been many rave reviews as well. Mr. Harris travels frequently and maybe has not seen this thread. I personally haven't taken the course as I do not dabble in high end wrist watches. If you have any doubts, contact the NAWCC as suggested and also try contacting him directly as stated. I don't think he has any reason to avoid you.

10. watch junkie

watch junkie Registered user.

Oct 15, 2016
    Country Flag:
    This does bring up a good point. In the previous post, I was directed to a link because the class had nothing to do with this forum, yet the first several posts were clear adverts for the course and the next stated that the course was closed.

Perhaps "luxury or lie" is a very fitting title. At best, the facilitator (Adam Harwood) doesn't seem to have any credentials beyond early 1900's watches. Just like we are always admonished to "buy the seller", it would behoove us to "buy the facilitator" here.

I'd be more than happy if NAWCC came out and endorsed him, but all these ringing endorsements from various past "participants" posted by Mr. Harwood himself somehow ring hollow.

Perhaps a post by a respected member who has actually taking this course could help me part with my hard earned money. While I pride myself in never haven been "taken", I'm equally sure that I've passed up several bargains because I was unsure.

11. harold bain

NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

He might feel more inclined to respond to you if you had a name and location to go with your question.

12. harold bain

NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You might do better if you had his name correct. You have an email address to contact him. If you are unwilling to use your name on our forum, don't expect too much.
    Since the course is obviously full, you have lots of time to plan for the next course.

13. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think I can see some confusion here. I have been away and when I logged into the MESSAGE BOARD this afternoon, indeed there was an advertisement for Adam's course under discussion at the top of my logged in page. So while we may say that the message board is not connected, it does appear that it was advertising it. Perhaps we need a quick link to access from the message board when this appears.

David

14. TruthSeeker

Oct 15, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Aaaaaand, I'm done here.
    Let me get this straight, the instructor did read this? This is all too weird. Got my answer about the course. Thanks.

15. harold bain

NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you scroll to the bottom of this thread, it shows who has read this thread. Mr. Harris is not listed there.

16. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    TruthSeeker, just to be fair. Did you really get the answer that you were looking for?

I clicked on the ad on the Message Board page and was directed to the course under discussion. I must admit that I was surprised at the cost of the course, so certainly understand your desire for more information.

And While I did click on the link to Adam, I am not sure that the info in his bio would be sufficient for some people.

Perhaps you could provide more information.

David

17. Markus Harris

Markus Harris NAWCC Communications Director
    Staff Member NAWCC Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Male
    Director of Communications, NAWCC Inc.
    Lancaster, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's all quite simple, actually.

The NAWCC Message Board is simply that: a message board where members (and guests) discuss topics of interest.

The Admins and Mods here are not connected in any formal way to the Education Dept of the NAWCC. Thus, they have no specific answers or information about NAWCC courses, or special access to anyone regarding the courses. Nor does this board sponsor NAWCC educational classes. It's just a message board, and thus, a separate entity.

The NAWCC does advertise its events and classes and the like here on this board, from time to time. Also, it will occasionally link to materials regarding those courses and events, and to further information on its various websites. Quite naturally.

The course materials for the course in question are here:

https://net.nawcc.org/NAWCC/Events/Event_Display.aspx?EventKey=WS325F16

Instructor bios can be found here:

http://www.nawcc.org/index.php/workshops/instructors

An interview with the instructor can be found here:

http://watchnews.nawcc.org/luxury-or-lie-interview.html

If one needs more in-depth information about the course, one needs only to contact the Director of Education, Katie Knaub, here: kknaub@nawcc.org

If one wished to contact the course instructor directly, one needs only to email him here: aharris@nawcc.org

That's pretty much the whole shebang. A glance at the list below indicates that Adam Harris seems not to have read this thread, nor is it really within any of our purview that anyone here insist that he do so. This board is its own entity, and its members and users come and go as they please.

There's plenty of information on the course available on the web and at our NAWCC website.

If you wish to contact Adam directly, I suggest you email him, as I've said before.

18. watch junkie

watch junkie Registered user.

Oct 15, 2016
    Country Flag:
    There appears to be quite a bit of obfuscation so you've clearly answered the question for me. I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Harris (thank you for the correction) hasn't seen this thread, but I digress. His bio speaks to his understanding of early 1900's watches only.

19. harold bain

NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you need more information than what has already been provided, contact our education director Katie Knaub. Or send an email to Mr. Harris.
    You won't get more here than you have already been given.