Luxury or Lie Course Breaks Course Registration Now Available for May 2016 Class

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Katie Knaub, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Katie Knaub

Katie Knaub Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 7, 2007
    f03ff2f2-fe71-4a07-b09f-979dfe8c7629.jpg

LUXURY OR LIE? Groundbreaking Course to Return
    Last autumn's successful new educational offering, "Luxury or Lie? How to Identify Genuine from Fake Watches," designed by Adam Harris, debuted last October at the NAWCC campus in Columbia, PA. It will be held again in May, 2016, and is now accepting registrations. The course includes an overview of watch types, terminology, and techniques to detect counterfeited or reworked luxury timepieces from the genuine.

Among other topics the course covers the following:

• Historical chronology of the watch, its terminology, and complications
    • The differences between "homage," "Frankenstein," "re-worked," "fake," and "super-fake" timepieces
    • Best ways to identify the components of a GENUINE timepiece and reference its original manufacturer
    • Tips to quickly identify the genuine from the fake: "Hands On" Fakes vs. "Genuine" vs. "Reworks." Participants received a special tool (the "Litmus Test") to determine very quickly without opening the case whether the timepiece was not genuine and correct.
    Last October's course was universally praised by the following attendees:

"Thanks again for the course you prepared; its knowledge was well worth every minute of it!" (Josh Bryant, A Yankee Peddler and Loan)

"It was excellent and I will tell the other members of Chapter 12 of the NAWCC and also the members of the Potomac Guild of the Horological Association of Virginia (HAV)." (Joseph Jabbour, Clock and Watch Appraisal Services of Northern Virginia, LLC)

"The class was a great asset to my business, and I will use what I learned daily. Thanks for offering the course. Please give my regards to everyone at NAWCC. It's great to be a member!" (Martin Fuller, Martin Fuller Appraisals LLC)

"Great job! You'll be pleased to know that we were able to apply some of the new techniques within 24 hrs." (Anthony LoRe, The Provident Loan Society of New York)

"I learned so much from your seminar, especially the Never 31 or 7 and the Litmus Test (so clever!)" (Zully Patino, The Provident Loan Society of New York)

"I've been telling my colleagues how terrific you were and that it is an essential course to take the next time it comes up." (Gina D'Onofrio, Jewelry Appraisal Services)

NAWCC Director of Education Katie Knaub is enthusiastic about the return of the highly successful offering. "We are thrilled to continue to offer this course because we have heard from many people who deal with luxury watches on a daily basis that this course has fulfilled a definite training need not offered elsewhere."

The course will be offered again on May 21-23, 2016, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., in the classroom facilities at NAWCC headquarters in Columbia, PA.

Registration for the next class is already available online here:
    Luxury or Lie? May 21-23, 2016
    For further information and to register, contact the NAWCC Education Department at 717-684-8261, ext. 237 or education@nawcc.org.

Sincerely,

Katie Knaub
    Director of Education
    National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

2. Adam Harris

Adam Harris Registered User
    Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    Dear All
    I am confident that this years course will be even better than last year. Based on the survey results and my knowledge, this years course is longer (now 3 days), the agenda covered is greater and on hands experience even better.

Additionally we are "engaged" in talks with both outside companies and countries, if they come to fruition it is going to be an "awesome" year for "Luxury or Lie" and NAWCC.

I hope we can earn good funds for NAWCC4

Sincerely
    Adam

3. Katie Knaub

Katie Knaub Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 7, 2007
    This course offering is now full. Due to demand we have scheduled another offering of Luxury or Lie to run June 4-6, 2016. You can register at this link.

Thank you,

Katie Knaub
    NAWCC Director of Education

4. Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    We recently gave the course in New York.
    During that course we helped the owners confirm a "Super Fake" Audermars Piquet, by using the "litmus" test.

And confirm a Breitling Navitimer as 100% genuine, that they had determined as fake.

Two items, making large "savings" that easily covered the costs of their course!

Adam

5. Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    May class sold out (16 Participants) and June class with 11 participants.
    I thought I would share some press photos, Courtesy of Reading Eagle Business Weekly
    Luxury%20or%20Lie%20May_zpseegzpjfr.jpg

Luxury%20or%20Lie%20May%209_zpssjxbaytd.jpg

Luxury%20or%20Lie%20May%208_zpsdrhszapy.jpg

Luxury%20or%20Lie%20May%207_zpsipd5vt0o.jpg

Luxury%20or%20Lie%20May%206_zpsu9mqtygz.jpg

Luxury%20or%20Lie%20May%203_zpsq3ubs7zt.jpg

Regards
    Adam

6. Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    "As a professional trainer myself I am a difficult man to impress, and let me tell you: I am impressed.This course cost me about $2500 USD to attend, and the value of this course will be remembered long after the cost is forgotten. The first time I correctly identify a fake either for myself or a for a client it will pay for itself many times over."
    -Geof Parker

7. TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker Registered User

Oct 15, 2016
    Country Flag:
    This course costs as much as a near perfect version of one of the most valuable and sought after watches ever made, the Omega Speedmaster Original Moonwatch. It has been in production since 1957 and beautiful examples can be had for the price of your weekend long course. How do you guarantee that the information you provide is correct? What formal training do you have and what qualifies you as an expert? I hope my message is not too crass, I just don't want to waste my hard earned money. How can you ensure my money is well spent?

8. MartyR

MartyR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Welcome to the board, TruthSeeker :)

Well it's also less than half of the hammer price a friend of mine just got for an old Oyster ... and it's four times what I got for a nice Jaeger LeCoultre watch. So what is your point? Are we going to compare the cost of the Moonwatch to which you refer to the cost of a flight from New York to Los Angeles?

The only person who can ensure that is you. Only you can possibly understand what "well spent" means. So for example, as you have no doubt bought the very Moonwatch to which you have referred, would you now say that your money was "well spent", and if so ... how did you measure that?

9. watch junkie

watch junkie Banned

Oct 15, 2016
    Country Flag:
    This sounds like an interesting premise, but after having gone to far too many conferences hosted by "experts", what are the facilitator's credentials to make him suited to host this?
    Is there a course description somewhere that we can peruse?

10. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Adam, congrats on your course.

This may not be the proper place for this but perhaps this is your chance to list your bona fide's and other credentials as weill as give a short course description.

Jeff

11. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag: