Lux "Showboat" Alarm Clock

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Dave T, Jul 5, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I need to remove the movement from the case. First question is, how do I remove the knob on top which activates the alarm. I think it's press fit, but want to be sure.
    Lux Waterbury Conn.jpg

2. John P

John P Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Male
    Looking after the cats
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave does it unscrew?

3. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Basically, that's my question. Does it unscrew or pull off? I don't see any exposed threads.

4. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are you sure it needs to be removed? Sometimes the button just pushes on a lever beneath it and doesn't have to (or cannot) be removed. Others who know this clock may have the answer.

Uhralt

5. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the interest. No, I'm not sure. This is the first clock of this type I've seen. I did remove the two small nuts on the back of the case and the bottom of the movement will slip out, I'm sure, but I was afraid to try and remove the top portion. Maybe with this info, I'll get a little more aggressive. Just don't want to ruin it before I get started.

I can't find any examples of pictures of the movement itself.

6. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Okay Uhralt, you're my hero. It doesn't need to come off, (alarm knob).

Now to figure out how to get this thing apart. Look at the posts!
    Lux 1Waterbury Conn.jpg Lux 2Waterbury Conn.jpg

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great! First, remove the balance wheel and let down the mainspring.With flat pliers ( parallel jaw pliers would be best) push the sticking out ends of the posts together until they stand up vertically. Then the top plate can be removed. Service the movement as usual. When you have it put back together, bend the sticking out post ends outwards again to secure the plate. This repair can be done only a limited number of times until the post ends break but you should be good for several years. Just make sure that everything is in place and looks good before bending the post ends back.

Uhralt

8. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, it doesn't look like it's ever been serviced. That's a good thing. I have noticed however that those flat steel "posts" are different on the front plate. They terminate in an oblong tab that fits flush in the frame, with no outward tabs as on the back side. Similar to the way the upright posts are seated in a Morbier. As if it's meant to be torn down by removing the front plate. But the must be pressed in tight, otherwise what holds it together?
    There are no screws in this clock!

9. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's hard to see in the pictures but I think on the front side the posts are riveted in. In that case you need to remove the back plate as described. I have a Lux "Measuring Tape" clock with a similar movement (minus the alarm) and this is how I did it. I guess these clocks were not made to be repaired but it can be done!

Uhralt

10. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You are correct! I found a youtube video of a teardown and repair of a measuring tape clock.

I'm sure it's the same basic movement. I think I'll go for it. I did oil it, and it's been running all afternoon, but is real dirty, and the balance is sluggish.

11. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I didn't hear any sound on the video but the similarity is clear and it seems to show what needs to be done to take the movement apart. When you clean the movement, peg out the balance wheel cones very carefully, they are probably the main cause for the sluggish action.
    Good luck,
    Uhralt

12. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The video has no sound on youtube either! The only thing I'm looking for is how to remove the alarm set hand. It's stuck pretty tight. Are there any secrets here. Or do I need to use a little more force?

13. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I haven't worked on this particular clock but usually it is just a friction fit. In order not to damage the dial when removing the hand you could try to pry it off from the space between the front plate and the back of the dial using a screwdriver or similar. Did you get the water wheel off?

Uhralt

14. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Got the alarm hand off. It's a tight fit. The water wheel was easy. I got it from behind the dial. It has a long tube that fits over the shaft.
    Now the next thing is getting the dial off. It has 4 tabs bent over that are hard to access.
    This clock ain't easy! Like you said, it probably wasn't meant to be worked on. Reminds me of those old "dollar watches". Westclox, Ingraham, etc.

15. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good you got it off! The bent tabs are a pain because they tend to break off when they have been straightened and bent back a couple of times. Make sure that the movement runs reliably before you put the dial back on. I normally make the bend less sharp when I put them back on (less than 90 degrees). In some cases I have also left them straight and drilled small holes in the tabs, right behind the front plate. Then used tapered pins to secure the dials. This makes the clock more repair-friendly for the future but may be an overkill. And for the purist it wouldn't be original.

Uhralt

16. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good idea! All the while I'm thinking this is really going to be a pain to put back together!

17. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I couldn't find a proper tool/lever to remove the dial plate. So, I took the chicken way out! I cleaned the back plate pivots and balance cups with acetone. Oiled it and monitored it to see how long it would run. It ran for over 24 hours, so I put it back in the case. Really wanted to take it all down and give it a proper cleaning, but considering what it is, I'll continue to see how long it runs and move on for now. Cleaning glass inside and out helped considerably in appearance. Still some watermarks on the lower dial.
    Lux 3Waterbury Conn.jpg

18. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    At least it's nice to see it running! Just remember this thread when you need to take it apart.

Uhralt

Dave T likes this.
  19. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good news and bad news. This old clock has been running steady for over two days now! I figured it was a 30 hour clock.
    But, it loses about 20 minutes a day. Right now it's an hour and 31 minutes slow!
    Probably dirt?

20. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Could be. Maybe reducing the hair spring length would speed it up enough. Just pull the pin holding the end of it, pull the spring through the hole a bit and re-pin it. You would also have to adjust the beat afterward.

21. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #21 Dave T, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Thanks Shut, The old clock is running strong but sure loses a lot of time. I might try the hairspring adjustment.

Now you've got me re-considering the Big Ben that I left unfinished. I broke a pivot on the alarm stop fly, and also broke the end off the hairspring. So, if I re-pinned the hairspring, (after losing about 1/2" of it), would it be possible to get it in beat again and keep reasonable time?
    Not sure this is a good question. Maybe the question is, How short can the hairspring be?

And maybe neither one of these are good questions! o_O

22. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A little adjustment usually makes a big difference, and since it's an easy adjustment I'd recommend going in small increments and testing. Also, mark it in some way before you start, so you'll be able to put it back if you need to.